1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveway markers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FRANLANDRY, Nov 19, 2006.

1. FRANLANDRY

FRANLANDRY Junior Member

does anyone know were i can get driveway markers CHEAP in bulk i check home depot but they want 1.99 ea what a rip off

2. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

fiberglass innovations make all different lengths of the markers. they have a 4" reflective band and come in org or ylw.

its probably the same product at Depot, but they are probably buying mass quantities for cheap. I bought a little over 3000 this year and I think they were 1.29 each. Got the first order in six days and the second order came three days after I called.

also i know some companies cut down pvc and then paint the tips, but what everyone always forgets is the labor involved in making your own. For alittle over a dollar apiece and being able to sink it in the ground with no tools, I think the fiberglass is the way to go. and after long hours if you hit one, most of the time they flex and spring right back up, where a pvc pipe would break and be gone.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  3. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Have you tried Angelo's Supply on the internet? Bought some fiberglass markers 3 feet tall for about .50 each.

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I use 1x3's and spray paint the top 6 inches orange. Buy 8' and cut them in half. They end up costing about 40 cents per stake.Fiberglass are nice, but they can be harder to see imo.

5. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Go to the lumber yard and pick up pointed lath. They cost me $21 for a bundle of 50 (42 cents ea). They are 4 feet in length and easy to put in. Flag or paint the top 6 inches. I charge each customer 50 per stake and $10 for putting them up.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Just so you know, these are fiberglass markers but they have a smaller diameter than the metal tipped ones with the reflective tape that are sold at the box stores. They will snap if you plow over them and are not as visible.

I too buy mine at Fiberglass Innovations on the web.

I no longer charge the customer for staking, just build it into the price of plowing, after-all its so we don't wreck their lawn and helps prevent us from doing some free spring clean-up.

7. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

You charge for the stakes and installing. Thats a trip.

Do you charge them when you need a new pair of gloves too?

Comon.

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

j, thomas sells plastic stakes for $150.00 for a case of 500. at least if u run over plastic they bounce back up about 80% of the time. i also used the angelos one and they work great

9. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Yeah i had to swing in lowes to get 10 stakes the other day and really enjoyed getting taken for 1.79 each. But for my high end residential and small commercial i prefer the real nice orange reflective ones with the little rubber cap on top.

Other accounts 1/2" pvc with paint on the tips is pretty good. We break alot of them but there cheap to make anyways. I too am looking for a good place to get fiberglass markers cheap.

10. FGLMOW

FGLMOW Junior Member

Try Mills supply they have economy markers 32 in-42in .48cents and up.

11. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Does J.Thomas or Mills supply have a website to order from?

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

hey pearce, welcome to plowsite, nice to see another from Roch on.

13. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

why even use them?? i thnk their a pain....i dont use them...but i have a couple customers that put them up on their driveways..i just makes it harder for me when i have to plow them down to make a pile.

14. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

you goooootttta use them especially if you dont have curbs & have tons of islands or have areas where a fire hydrant or bumper blocks need to be id'ed .....

here at brickman we make each of our subs or us ourselves go out and stake every site we can before the first snow....we charge for the service which is usually an extra hour or 2 billed into the first snow or....we bill depending on the amout of stakes used and add it to the contract cost...just sucks when someone takes them out....1.20 a stake and when 100 are missing, isnt fun...

another site of 250 single houses we care for had them & because the people thought the orange stake identifying a sewer grate or hydrant looked ugly they were going around and removing them hiding them in their garages...

asked many times to have them returned in letters, but none were, ended up charging the HOA 2.50 a stake to replace them all......this year hopefully we wont have those problems

...but in any case, if you for some unknown reason cant be in your plow and have someone else take over, its nice having the piece of mind youre not going to be buying bags of grass seed when the snow melts

15. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Hello to Grn Mtn

Hello to you too. New to the site and loving it. Found it through lawnsite. Been on there for a while. No time to post till now,too busy trying to get the leaves up. Hope to have a good season myself and good luck to you on your season as well! Hopefully Rochester will get buried and we can make some serious scratch!! payup

16. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

what's wrong with good old fashioned wood stakes?

Paint the tops red or some different colour so your staff knows what sites are yours.

Stakes are only really needed for the first few plows. Once things are going you

a) know the lots
    b) have snowbanks telling you where the lot ends.

And with wood you don't feel bad when they are stolen/broken, etc...

17. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

Charge for stake and Install

Of course I charge for reflective stakes and Install and removal........DONT YOU????..i have high end houses that i plow and the people asked for them." can u get some of the snow reflective sticks and charge me for them"..i say yes i have some at my shop.. and get it done that day....

i charge my hourly rate ($50.00) for labor total starting at the shop.. to the cust. house install and return to shop.

hey everyone should get paid for their time unless ur not trying to make money

18. LLM Ann Arbor

I agree to a large extent. I met the guy I sub for at a property I did for him last year with high curbs and 2 inch cobblestone poured inside the curb areas and he had these hollow cheesy 2 ft markers I was trying to install while he took pics. Talk about a pita. I found it a waste of time and silly at best. First storm they will all be plowed over.

I use them on my resi's very sparingly.

19. LLM Ann Arbor

Must be nice if you can sleep at night..

When Macdonalds starts charging me an extra fee to wrap my hamburger then I'll go elsewhere.

Some of the things that go on in this industry simply amaze me.

Do you bill the customer for the cost of the cup of coffee you bring with you while installing the stakes too?

Not trying to be a dick here but some of you guys must have too much work and too many clients if you treat them the way you do.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  20. LLM Ann Arbor

The thing thats cool about hearing all these things a lot of you do is I use them as a sales tool to the extent |I explain to the customer theres no hidden costs, no big contracts, No ripoffs, and no shenanigans.

So far the estimates I get I close because they appreciate the no nonesense approach.

If the lawns baked like a steak in the middle of July, I drive by and pass it up now and then as a courtesy. They all respond positively to that. I dont just run my mower over it breaking and damaging the crowns and bill them.

I get out of the truck, and finish what the plow couldn't reach and do a complete job for the price quoted.

The price of stakes and the time it costs you to install them so you dont damage the property or your crew can see whats up is a cost of doing business and not an additional expense that needs to be billed independently.

Crazy. This.

But like I said. If you can get away with it, and keep the job when I bid it against you.....fine.

Here I come.