1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway markers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by micah79, Sep 24, 2003.

1. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Does anyone know a good place to buy driveway markers on the web? The cheapest I can find them is $.45 per stake for 4'x1/4" fiberglass.(Quantity 100) They are $.50 each if you buy less than 100. I will need at least 500. And does anyone have a good method of inserting them. It is hard to pound them in with a hammer cause they are so long and flimsy.

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Try a search, micah. There was a lengthy discussion of these last season.

3. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I did that first but couldn't find it. Maybe I was typing in the wrong thing.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

5. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Thanks, Pelican. Looks like I'm getting a pretty good deal already.

6. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Micah - Were are you getting those markers from? For that price, it is a steal.

Chuck B.

7. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

8. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I guess the link doesn't work for the stakes but you can click on the parts and accessories drop down on the top of the page that the link sends you to and you will see them.

9. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

micah79,

Use a cordless drill with a long 1/4" bit to drill a pilot hole in the ground, works great.

$.45 is a steal, buy them!!

Joel B.

10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Just bought 500 of them - We will see how durable they are. If they are good - I will buy their entire stock.

Chuck B.

11. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

don't do that, I still need some.

12. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Does anyone know if these stakes have any reflective tape on them towards the top? It doesn't look like it in the picture. I like the reflective stakes.

Joel B.

13. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

no they donthave reflective tape. At least they didn't have them last year. Chuck. Did you notice that you get free oil and shovel with purchase?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  14. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I've beenusing those for a few years. They are fine for the intended pupose. Many times in softer soils you can just push them in. They do have one sharpened end.

15. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Get them while they last. I have been spending between $1.25 to $2.50 a piece for the last couple of years. They look to be the same as the ones Home Depot sell, but without the reflective tape.

Chuck B.

16. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

They are pretty big. I'm guessing you will have to buy a ton to buy them out.

17. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Micah, For an inserter you may want to use the lazy mans method. Take a pc of pipe and get a cap for it. Weld a 3/8 dia X 4" pc of rod to the cap. Sharpen one end first. Walk along and plug this into the ground to make a hole. Insert the stake and move on. You can make the pipe the same lenght as the stake less 2-3" and flip it over and drop it over the stake to drive it in farther.

We use a similar method to put the 5" X 1/4" flat markers up along drives and roadways.

Jerre

18. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Outside Erie, we're using flexible markers from J. Thomas. 29 cents each at 500 piece quantity.... flexible, about 30" long. Don't break, cars can drive over them, people can't be impaled by them. Too short for Erie, but great in markets getting less than 50" a winter, IMO.

19. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I have bought those markers as well. I live right by j thomas as well. I guess I am in a good location. j thomas, angelos, cummins world hq. All in my back yard!( oh yeah and the big 3 automakers lol)

We like those markers that j thomas sells, but they are kind of short when we have a big storm, the birms cover them sometimes. But they are pretty nice.

20. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't know how durable you need these to be... But when the gas company marked the buried line in front of my house, they uses markers that were made of 'coathanger" thickness metal wire, with a small plastic flag on the top. They weren't very durable, but they might do the job -- and they must be inexpensive. I believe invisible fence (for dogs) companies use a similar product. Just thought I'd mention it.

Jeff Pierce