1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway Markers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MICHPLOWER, Aug 24, 2010.

1. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

What do you guys use for driveway markers? I was think of using 1/2 Pvc x 10' Plumbing pipe. I can cut it in to 3 sections paint the top part with reflective paint color. this will cost $.29 each, the real one cost $1 or more I think this a cheaper way to go.

What do you guys think

2. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

discount snow stakes . com

google it.

4. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

I was just asking what everyone thought about the ideal i had. I wasnt asking for any help! whats your problem bro.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

Thanks red man, But i wasn't asking where to buy them, I just wanted to know what you guys thought of my Ideal.

Thanks though

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

PVC = bad. You wouldn't know that without doing a search though... But since you refuse to do your own leg work, I'll let you find out for yourself when you bump one mid-winter, it shatters into multiple pieces, and you either run over it blowing your tire or some kid falls on it and kills himself... :dizzy:

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Wow guys, its not even snow season yet, and you seem all wound up. I agree some of his questions were asking to much, so I just ignore them. At least he is doing his homework and preparing for this season. We are going to see all these questions and more come end of November and December from the real smart ones.:D
    I agree you are going to cheap with your idea. Get some fiberglass rods, if you can afford it get them with reflective tape. If you really want something with a bang try these.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=58857

8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I use Re-rod and paint them white...So if i get to close it scratches the S#$T out of my truck.....Your idea sounds like alot of work...Some guys use wood stakes. some guys use stakes from snowplowstakes.com..remember PVC gets very Briddle when cold...All your hard work will be a broken pile of PVC when the snow Melts....:salute:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Re-rod painted white...:laughing: Now that's some funny chyt. What if you painted the tips orange then pound the tips into the ground.

Just buy some fiberglass stakes, they will last a long time.

Bossman

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

make sure when the fiberglass poles get worn out and start splintering to never wear golves when driving them into the ground, the gloves will actually destroy them faster.

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

12. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

New guy - you need to stop asking the same basic questions over and over and over. If I walk into a bar, I would listen a bit before annoying the regulars with one basic thought after another.

13. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Let me just add my penny to this.

I'm new never used a plow before been on here under 2 years now and have I do more reading than posting for the better part of my time.

Put your mind on hold and do what your told!!!

Just buy the dam stakes and call it a day. Thanks for posting the links for the stakes FYI i'm gonna get a bunch.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  14. redman6565

you asked what we use. that's what i use. i would use something that's not going to damage vehicles, homeowner's aren't the most intelligent bunch, i believe you said you wanted to use plumbing materials? (maybe, don;t remember, but don't feel like scrolling up), wouldn't use that unless you like paying for scratches.

15. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

markers

I use the fiberglass fence post' from Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply. They are 4' and I cut them in 1/2 with the chop. Once you have a windrow ( If it stays most of the winter) The markers are a non-factor. You don't need reflective anthing on them unless you're half blind. My customers like them shorter and more subdued in appearance so that you know where the grass(or curb) is but doesn't draw attention when they are just gazing at the landscape in general.

16. WIPensFan

IDK about that idea. Sometimes after you establish wind rows as points of reference, you get a bad windy storm and you have no idea where anything is. I do understand the clients not wanting to look at those orange markers all winter though. I'd rather have my markers be 4' tall.

17. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

markers

I'm down w/ that, it's just that here(SE Minn.) we only average around 50" , but cold enuf for the windrows to stay, so 90% of the time 24" is plenty to see all winter. Maybe different where you are.

18. WIPensFan

I agree, what works for some, doesn't work for others.:salute:

19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

You must be pushing these markers 4 inches into the ground leaving you 20 inches. Lets say mid way through the winter you have 10 inches sticking up above the snow. What would happen if someone slips and falls on top of one of these markers? Or they back over one with their car tire? The whole thing sound pointless and dangerous.

20. redman6565

obstacle course. duh. lol :drinkup:

no neige is right, it is dangerous. stakes are meant to stick up 48", that's standard practice.