1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway entrance

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Zrxpilot, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Zrxpilot

Zrxpilot Member

New to plowing. Longer drives 500-800 feet. On the long part of the drive you have an outgoing run doing the ride side and an ingoing again on the right to finish it.

My question is how to get rid of the snow in in your plow when you are exiting the driveway onto the road.

Push it out in the street with you and gradually raise the blade? Seems something illegal in there somewhere. Or stop some distance prior to the exit cleaning it up on your way back? This makes for few extra stabs at the end to clean up

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Push it to the ends of the drive.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Raise the blade and drive through it then start your push back the way you came.

4. tmcmurran

tmcmurran Junior Member
    from Canada

I just run it across the highway to the ditch. What stay's on the shoulder it taken care of by DOT pretty quick.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I do 2 pushes in on my way up the drive,4-5 truck lengths, doing your exit pass the blade angled to the side it peters out in the void before you reach the road.

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Alway do the entrance on the way in. That way you are 100 percent aware of what's happening on the road. If you push in and the out, and then dick around turning the truck around you are not as aware of the road.

7. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Pretty sure it's illegal to put snow on the road in any state. At least it should be.

Also in the wrong section.

8. tmcmurran

tmcmurran Junior Member
    from Canada

I am in Northern Canada where we are lucky to even have the town plow our streets. We have a little more freedom as to where we deposit snow here. As long as you are not creating a hazard on the highway it is all good.

9. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Push across the street. Just be quick and safe. Most towns don't care as long as you don't leave the pile in the road

10. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

It really all depends on the road. And the driveway.
    As mentioned, sometimes you plow everything in. On some driveways, there is nowhere "in" to plow to, so everything has to be plowed OUT. If its a low traffic small road, you can in some cases get away with pushing it directly across the road (if there is nothing there like a driveway), sometimes across and a bit to the left. Sometimes you can just create a heap at the end of the driveway on the road, and then push it up into the municipal plow's snow banks on your way out.

On larger roads though, you can't do any of this. In this case, you may need to create small piles at the end of the driveway OFF the road, and push to the side (parallel to the road).

Basically, assess the situation, and use your best judgment.