1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveway contracts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Trailblazer02, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Trailblazer02

Trailblazer02 Junior Member

hello guys when you get a driveway job..do you write out a written contract...or is it a handshake or verbal...also do you collect money before season after season or everytime you plow. also could you explain whatever way you do it so i can get an idea.

ps will the customer tell you where they want the snow pushed? or do you ask or do whatever you want
  2. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I would recommend using at least a service agreement that both of you sign. Hand shakes and verbal agreements aren't worth anything these days. I bill monthly but everyone does it differently. I charge per push for most of my drives. And as far as where the snow goes, most of the time the customer has an idea, but in most cases it's at your discretion.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I would use a contract.

My pricing is pay up front. Basically ,it's $xxx for up to xx amount of plows. Anything over xx plows will be an additional $xx per plow.

You put the snow where it is most convenient for you, while still being legal.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Hand shake. I have never had a problem that wasn't resolved. I tell them what they will get and I do it.
    I have 15 pay up front for the season and 85 that I bill monthly. I put the snow where I want unless the customer says otherwise.
  5. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

i charged by the inch and billed after each storm. ive never had a problem with just a handshake either but there are alot of scumbags that may try and stiff you. put the snow wherever is best if the homeowner has a prefrence try to do what they want but sometimes you have to explain what they want isnt possible. now ive got a contract with the city, thats alot of paper to say they call you plow!
  6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I do a little bit of both. If I've worked for the person before and never had a problem with them, I don't make them sign a contract for their 2nd year of service. New customers I always do, just so they know what's going on. For commercial, I would always make them sign a contract. Way to many variables not to.
  7. aviator39

aviator39 Junior Member

I have not done a search yet so forgive me if this has been discussed before, but where do you find a contract? I am new and looking to get started next winter. Thanks for your help. I have learned a ton by just lurking so far.
  8. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

wear a mask .....
  9. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

The purpose behind any contract is to protect yourself and the customer from being wronged. Granted in the plowing arena, your word can be enough but make sure you know the person faily well. If your going to plow for someone you don't know, I would get something in writting simply because when the snow melts and say there was some damage done to the grass, pavers,etc. how will you be protected from false accusation. You may be 100% certian that you did not do the damage but without a contract or written agreement how will you protect yourself from that person filing a small claims against you? In my contract damage or anything that has been done wrong needs to be documented and reported to me within a certian time otherwise I am not resposible nor will I be able to fix it in a timely manner. With that being stated in black and white, not to say they still couldnt come after me, it will be much harder for that customer to get a small claims against me.
  10. Kunker

Kunker Member

Do a quick search, there are tons of examples on here. Good luck!