1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway and lot marking

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bobwitheclc, Nov 8, 2006.

1. bobwitheclc

bobwitheclc Junior Member

Have any of you that live in the upper midwest started to mark your drives and lots?
    We have and we are getting some flack for doing so people saying that it is too early. My thoughts were to get the poles in before the ground freezes.

Thanks in advace for your comments.

2. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

Haven't even considered marking anything yet. I won't until Thanksgiving time.

3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I use a cordless drill and boring bit if the ground is too hard.....

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I start marking new ones in October. Most of mine stay up year round.

5. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

I usually put them up around the 16-17 of november

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

We are doing them today and tomorrow!

7. bobwitheclc

bobwitheclc Junior Member

Thanks for all of the replys. I am glad to hear that I am not way to early. Thanks again.

8. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Where would a good place be to buy the stakes? I know about central parts, ant other place cheaper?

9. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

we have only marked a motel we are plowing this year the driveways wait until later becuase it isnt very hard to get the marker in the drit but pavement is pretty hard...

RC

10. Mick

from Maine

Don't know about cheaper, but try Angelo's: http://www.angelos-supplies.com/plowparts/catresults.pg?cat='Driveway%20Stakes'

11. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

If you buy from Angelo's, don't click on the "link" that offers free hydraulic fluid with $50.00 purchase. They ship the fluid separate with additional charges. I ordered 100 sticks @ .45 a peice. What I thought would be 50 something turned into 70 something after shipping fees. Angelo's is a good place though, to get the sticks. Thanks Mick!

hillndale

12. Mick

from Maine

Sorry about the ripoff with the fluid, Adam. I didn't use it when I ordered the stakes, so didn't know about it.

You're welcome.

13. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I did some last week and I am going to do the rest next week.:D

14. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Try j-thomas.com they have some good prices and they are out of Walled Lake,MI they are just about an hour away from us.

15. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

We dont mark any of our lots. I guess most of them have curbs, and I try to have all our guys take a good look at the lots before it snows. Of course most of our lots I'v been doing for years so I pretty much know where all the curbs are. There is one place that does mark there proporty for us, but when we back drag out all there driveways we usually back over the sticks, casue its a retired condo place. I dont mind that they do it, its just that they get in our way at that place.

16. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i go out a couple days b4 each storm....i dont like ppl stealin them...happened to me 2yrs ago and lost close to 100bucks at one lot

17. Brannick's Snow

Brannick's Snow Member
    from ohio

we use flags with wire 30" put our logo and phone # on them about 150.00 for a 1000