1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gtw1229, Aug 12, 2005.

1. gtw1229

gtw1229 Junior Member
    from georgia

i have a 86 4x4.the young kid that had it before me installed an automatic in it where it had a 4 speed. he never installed the front driveshaft after the swap.now i have the truck i attempted to install the shaft and it is to short.are the manual shafts different than the std. shafts? thanks gtw1229
  2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

The difference is from the length of the tranny IIRC. The auto is going to be longer then the manual, thus pushing the transfercase back farther. It should be farily easy to find a driveshaft at a local junk yard. I am assuming that you have either the 350 turbo or the 700R4 tranny with the NP208 transfercase but if the tranny was swaped it could be different.

3. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

ctfan is correct, but be aware that there are different automatics with different lengths. The TH350 is shorter than either the 700R4 or the TH400. You'll need to get the front driveshaft that's correct for your trans and transfer case. Another alternative is to go to a driveshaft specialty shop and just have a new one made to the correct lenght. They'll likely use the yokes and splines from your old one and weld them to new tubes of the correct lenght.

Joe Padavano