1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drivetrain Question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Hello everyone, I have a question about my truck. The truck is a 1985 F-250 4x4 with a C6 tranny. I wanted to know what kind of transfer case I have. The transfer case is fine and every thing. I know everything else about the truck except for the transfer case. Oh ya one more question. When I first start the truck and shift the truck into reverse it makes this little sqeak/squealing noise but only when the truck is being shifted in to gear. When the truck is in reverse gear is nice and strong and dose not slip or make a funny noise. But if I let the truck warm up for a minute or two and shift in to reverse it does not make a noise at all. So only when the truck is cold and shifting in to reverse gear the tranny makes the squeal. And all of the other gears work fine and are strong. THANKS. :) purplebou :bluebounc

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

the transfer case should be NP205

3. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

If the transfer case has an aluminum housing, it's more likely a Borg Warner 1345

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have pretty much the same truck, mine's an 89.
    Look at the back of the transfer case it should be cast somewhere on the back. It should be a 1345.
    As far as the noise putting it in reverse goes, don't worry unless it delays engagement for a long time. If it does,check your fluid level, it's probably low. Make sure your fluid level is full when warm, losing pressure will kill the C-6.
    One plus is the tranny is cheap to have rebuilt vers the 4 speeds.
    Any problems you need help with just PM me I know alot about FORDS.

5. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Hey guys thanks for all the info on the transfer case, Today I was under the truck changing the tranny fulid and the filter out. which went well except for being covered in tranny fulid :rolleyes:, As far as the noise goes in tranny. It has almost gone away but there it is now only a slight noise only going into reverse gear. Now that I did some work on the tranny, there is a exhast leak were the passenger side manifold meets the Y pipe.

Mick I tried to send you a PM, but something popped up that said the I was not able to access the PM page and it said I was restricted :confused: don't what thats about all well :gunsfiring:. Plus schools going to be back in secssion soon here so I'll send it up to the local High School and they'll take care of the leak in the exhast "sound like a flowmaster exhast now" for High School kids they do awsome work. So thanks again and Mick I'll to get the PM problem taken care of. THANKS for the :help:

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Don't feel bad about making a mess with the tranny fluid. I have worked on Fords for 30 + years and I always spill tranny fluid no matter what I do. Some times the noise in reverse is the first sign your U-joints are going in the main drive shaft. Then it will start squeaking in reverse later on. If you replace the u-joints take the old ones with you,most times the listing in the computer is wrong. The stock type exhaust is available for the truck too. Advance auto and other big box parts stores are no good for it. Go to a Mom & Pop type parts ( Federated ) store they can order it for you. Walker still makes the whole setup form manifolds to tips. Even the duel pipe exit from the muffler setup is available.