1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveshaft

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chevys850, Apr 22, 2003.

1. chevys850

chevys850 Junior Member
    from fl

ok, i know i shouldnt be in here, haha, a friend of mine has got a 98 ford ranger 4x4. on his rear driveshaft there is a plastic boot that covers what appers to be a gear of somekind, i was thinking that it may be a speed sensor, but im not really sure, does anybody know what im talking about, and what it does it it on the front of the rear driveshaft just behind the u-joint. thanks

2. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I think what your talking about, is the travel for the drive staft, it covers the sliding part of the shaft, to allow for movment of the rear.

3. chevys850

chevys850 Junior Member
    from fl

ok,i got cha. i didnt check for that but it sounds like that maybe it, the way it is shaped would be like splines for it to fit into. thank you.

4. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I used to have a ranger, I got it hung up on a hill one cold afternoon and the driveshaft actually seperated at that point you are talking about. Had to weld a new spline on because it was all chewed up from the shaft turning and not being in line with the other half. Cost about $50 at the local machine shop.
    I guess this reply has no relevance to this thread, but if just reminded me of that COLD day.