1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveshaft / u-joint

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mulchmonkey2000, Jul 11, 2004.

1. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

I posted this on lawnsite, but thought i'ld try here too. thanks guys.

I have a 95 chevy 2500 diesel pick-up. Last week i noticed that when i step on the "gas" pedal it makes a creeping type noise. I raised the truck up on jackstands and put the transmission in neutral (auto trans). I spun the driveshaft by hand and noticed when it got to a certian point it made the creeping noise. It almost sounds like something needs to be greased, but i have no idea where. I tried moving the driveshaft to see if anything was loose and everything seemed tight. I was going to replace the rear u-joint b/c the one seal looked worn, but for the life of me couldn't get the driveshaft off. I took the 2 clamps off the u-joint on the rear side of the driveshaft and removed the outter snap rings, but cant budge the thing. I'm not sure if i'm even on the right track here, but it sounds like it is coming from either the u-joint or the driveshaft and not the rear end or transfer case. Anyone have and ideas or help for me? :help:
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

You sometimes have to pry the u-joint and shaft from the yokes after removing the retaining clips.
    You could very well have a joint that's frozen.
    Best way to check them is to continue to do what you started, remove the shaft and work the u-joints around by hand til you find the one that's binding or is tight.
    :rolleyes: John.....................................
  3. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

I can't figure out how the driveshaft actually comes off. I read my chilton's manual and it says to disconnect the rear of the driveshaft first. I took all fasteners off but the shaft is still locked in there tight. I can't hammer it to one side b/c their are metal tabs on the end to prevent it from sliding i guess. I never thought disconnecting a driveshaft would be so hard :(
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Put a large flat screwdriver (or preferably a small crowbar) behind the u joint and pull. Soak everything with WD40 or something ahead of time. It will come out... just be prepared not to lose the caps when it does. The tabs are on the yoke to center the u joint so it doesn't shake.