1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveshaft/steering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 572bowtie, Nov 20, 2004.

1. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

does anyone know how much it is to lengthin the front drive shaft on 73-87 trucks with a 4" suspension lift? Also what could i do to get rid of my play in my steering b/c i did a axle swap and there is too much play in my steering.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It is hard to see exactly how much becuace of suspension geometry but it "should " be around 2 1/2 to 3 inchs BUT, make real sure that you install extended suspension stops so axle does not travel up to far and pack in between axle and Tcase. On the slop in steering, if it was not there before you need to look at all of your linkages first before considering adjusting or replacing steering box.

3. Plowanator

Plowanator Junior Member

Im using a stock front shaft on teh front of my blazer with a 6" lift and have not had a problem... bring it down to you local Levines if in NE or a driveshaft shop.. should cost less than $100 or you can get one from HighAngle drive line...

4. Plowanator

Plowanator Junior Member

Sorry i forgot to address that steering slop with our trucks it seems that the steering box can develope play. a good way to get rid of it is to check for tightness on the pitman arm, amso there is a "screw" on teh cap of the box that can be tightened that will help alot. Check the ball joitns(1/2 ton) or Kingpins(1 ton) for slop of wear.....

just my $.02