1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveshaft interchangability?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bungy, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Bungy

Bungy Junior Member

I have a 78 Chevy K20. 400/Th400 np203. The cardin joint (I think that's what it's called) is shot in my front shaft along with the u-joints. I will need to get a different shaft and was wondering what will interchange? What years? What transfer cases? K10? Also what is the going rate for a brand new shaft from a parts place? Thanx in advance. Bungy

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Why replace the whole shaft? Seems like my dim memory hints that I've changed the Cardin joint in the past. Not super easy, but definitely doable with common tools. You DO need a torch to burn out the injected locks that the factory puts in there.

3. Bungy

Bungy Junior Member

The ball is flat on one side. The cup side of the joint has several large cracks. I don't see how it is replacable? The cup looks to be one piece with the section connecting the two u-joints. The ball looks like one piece with the front of the shaft, but I guess it could be pressed in. ??

4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

I don't recall having worked on a front shaft from that year, or from a 3/4 ton, but my truck (83 1/2 ton) had the ball on the shaft end of the joint, and the cup on the short t-case end of the shaft. I blew up the cardin joint more than a few times, and was always able to get the cup back over the ball. The ball was never in too bad of shape. The only time I replaced the whole shaft is when the slip yoke was stripped and the cardin joint was shot too. New was about 250 bucks if I recall correctly. If I had to do it again, I'd have a custom one made, eliminating the cardin joint, as I am not running very much lift or extreme angles. Just my opinion.

Marcus

5. GMC4x4

GMC4x4 Junior Member

even if you dont want to do the work yourself, you should be able to find a shop that does the work for alot cheaper than buying a new shaft.