1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveshaft help

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by plowdog, Oct 25, 2008.

1. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

O.K. I'm turning to the real experts since the other "experts" (dealer) don't have a clue. Have an '04 GMC Sierra 2500HD that I replaced the rear shaft u-joints in and somehow I think I turned the driveshaft end for end ( I know I should have marked it better, never once had this problem in all the trucks I've done before). It now has a slight vibration at about 20-30 mph and at stop signs it feels like the rear axle is wrapping up. Is there any way to tell if the shaft on right or wrong? Thanks

2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Is it 2 or 4 wheel? If it has a slip in the shaft that should be at the trans/transfer case end.

3. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT YOU MAY HAVE BENT THE SHAFT TAKE IT TO A MACHINE SHOP AND HAVE IT BALANCED :drinkup:

4. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

You could always try to flip it and see if it fits/gets better. If not that, then go to a driveshaft shop and have them take a look. I would trust the shop near me over a dealership, always. Those guys know their stuff

5. pusher21

pusher21 Member

make sure the retaining clips are centered on the diff yoku side also make sure the dif yoke is free from excessive rust where the retaining clips go. im pretty sure that the drive shaft itself is the same end to end other then one end has the slip yoke.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you accidentally flipped the drive shaft tube end to end when you re installed the U-joints and the front yoke, you likely fowled up the balance since the shafts are balanced as a complete assembly with the front yoke installed. That yoke may now be on the incorrect end of the tube...upsetting the factory balance.

7. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

Off to the driveline shop I go!!