1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driver's side mirror is loose, how do I tighten it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dai Maxwell, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Dai Maxwell

Dai Maxwell Junior Member
    from Texas

The driver's side mirror on my truck is loose. Not wobbly loose, just not tight enough to resist the wind when I'm driving. Can anyone tell me if it's just a regular screw that needs to be tightened or a special one and if special, what type of tool do I need to correct it?

Dai

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Sure would help to know what year truck.

3. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

If its like mine, you take the screw loose on the bottom, wiggle the cover up and over to the side. Then there are 2 bolts that you can tighten. Mine was loose because the rubber between the mirror tube and the metal palte was worn so I just made the bolts tighter and everything is cool. Its an 86 k30 4x4

4. Dai Maxwell

Dai Maxwell Junior Member
    from Texas

D'oh! It's a 1990.

Thanks Txstruck, I'll try to do just that.

Dai

5. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

Sure thing Dai!

6. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy Member

i have a simlar problem. when I got my truck the mirrors were very tight and sticky. So dumb me, I sprayed WD-40 into them. Now they won't stay put past 55-65 miles an hour. any ideas?

7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

That's an easy fix, spray the innards with brake cleaner. That will restore the metal to metal contact and increase friction.