1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drivers power door lock quit working????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by peterk800xc, Apr 9, 2009.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Tonite my driverside power doorlock just quit.It will not lock or unlock the door.The passenger doorlock works fine.It does not lock at speed or unlock in Park either. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's probably the actuator itself that died Pete. You can pull the door panel and disconnect the connector plug from it to check it for power and ground while operating the door lock switch to be sure.

Not an expensive repair but they are a little tough to access in the door. Takes some skinny fingers.

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

B&B Could that be whats wrong with mine??? I have a problem were I can't get mine to lock , once I play with the button (back & forth).. I can hear clicking in the door..Passenger door does not lock or unlock but like I said hear clicking,, Driers side is a new switch... This is driving me NUTS!!! HELP !!!

4. RichG53

Forgot to ask were are they grounded ?? In the door or some were else???

5. RichG53

Another thing when a I play with the switch ,the door lever does try to move some times opposite of the way it should be to perform the function it was press for...

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

By your description its sounds like the actuators are weak Rich...which definitely happens when they have some age on them as they're just cheap little electric motors and plastic gears so once any moisture gets in them they die. You can pull the door panels off and load them and the linkage up with Fluid Film but thats just a temporary fix. They need replaced. But soaking the new ones with FF will make them last much longer.

The actuators are a reversing motor, so their ground comes through the door switches (which is how its reversed to change the actuators direction...but yours isn't a ground issue or they would work at all.

7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Where is the best place to get an actuator? I am having the same problem with my drivers side rear door. Hit the button and get nothing!

8. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

b&b is exactly right...I had the same problem and its the actuator. I just got one from a junk yard for like 10 or 15 bucks..but they can be a pain in the @ss to put in.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

This is actually another one fo those situations where I find that the aftermarket ones hold up better than that of the OEM.

So I purchase them at NAPA all day long. :D

10. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Sounds good to me!! Thanks.

11. RichG53

Thanks !! B&B....

12. RichG53

B&B I called around and one place told me they are universal parts...Another place told me right & left are different parts no. ...Dealer & Napa want almost $ 100.00 a piece... Advance auto wants about $34.00 a piece and said they are universal.... Can you help me out ??? Thanks ! ! !

13. RichG53

B&B I forgot to ask.. Will electric motor or electrical cleaner (spray) ..Buy me some time if I spray them down???

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Stay as far away from the 'universal' ones as you can....because they universally don't fit EITHER side without tearing the old ones apart in order to steal the pieces from them that MAKE THEM side specific so they'll fit and work. ;)

When you use the quality direct fit ones yes their side specific so thats why they told you so. And they're sold that way for a reason, because the left and right are different...so they fit.

Rich if your going to go to all the effort to remove them in order to tear them apart to clean them, don't waste the time. Just replace them with new.

15. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Thanks!

B&B- thanks for the replies.Seems like this is an oncurring GM problem as I was at the dealers this morning.They have to order the drivers door actuators as they used their last 2 last week. Good thing for warranty!!

16. RichG53

B&B I just thought I could spray them with out taking them off....Should they cost that much (almost $100.00) a piece... The more I think about it I think the guy that told me they were universal met they fit many applications..

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can spray the outside of the actuators all you want with contact cleaner but it won't do anything except make the inside of your doors extremely clean. :D The corrosion/crud buildup is internal in the actuator so for it to work they need disassemble....

You cost sounds about right if thats your "walk in" customer price. Retail on them is around $130 IIRC.

18. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I just looked on gmpartsdirect and they are less than $52

19. RichG53

Put B&B said that after market was better than OEM..

20. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I posted that in response to someone saying they are $100+ from dealer. And he's probably right, but my truck has 130,000 miles and they are both good. At this point if one were to go bad, I would install an OEM one for half the cost. If the other ones lasted twice as long, and mine hypothetically went out right now, I don't think it would make a difference to me whether it crapped out again at 260,000 miles or 390,000 miles.