1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driver Shortage For Pennsylvania DOT

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Allagash, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

News Article

This is most likely a couple months old.

Maybe if they paid better, they would get more applicants. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.....
  2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Not Just Pa,NH is looking also...

Its the Bennies dont you know.lol New Hampshire had many openings also for year round work.
  3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

WOW a whole 11 dollars an hour. I got paid more than that to drive a pickup truck when i worked for some one.
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

10-4 to that good buddy!
  5. Oshkosh

Lets look at the other side of this...

I was told $15 per hour to start(NH DOT),Dont forget time and a half or $22.50 per hour anything over 40 and it isnt uncommon to have 80 hour weeks.Full bennies worth another $3000 a year,How many of you have Full health and dental,12 paid holidays, two weeks paid vacation,seven personal and sick days,Retirement? NO expenses/overhead.I know I dont.lol
    How much do WE have tied up in equipment?Oh ya who climbs under your truck when it breaks?The state guy doesnt ,he brings it back to his garage and drops it off.Doesnt cost him a dime!
    When you add up all your hours whether you do it or pay someone to do it; out bidding jobs, painting plows ,swapping cutting edges,doing repairs,hanging plows and spreaders before the storms,calling your drivers,paying for fuel and repairs,buying equipment,shopping for insurance,going to the registry etc....You get the idea that time comes from somewhere.You have to add/include all that, and ask yourself how much do WE really make? :cry:
    Just the other side of the business,I would plow no matter what ,but there are always two sides to every story.Some storms I would be very happy to be an employee.lol
  6. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

when im subing for a friend of mine (ownes apun snow removel) we get 25 an hr, per truck. but we pay fuel and repairs and have to supply all the equiptment. they have seperate crews that do sidewalk and sanding\salting as well as loaders and dump trucks.
  7. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

You have got to be kidding.
    25 bucks and you pay fuel maint. and let me guess insurance.
    Can you say losses?? that wouldn't pay my fuel expense per hour let alone all the rest. if you do that, you won't be around long. my truck don't move for less than 50 an hour with a goal of no less than 100 per hour average.
    He handles the salt, wow what a stress, he does all the gravey money, plus keeps 2/3 of what should go to you.
    I really need to rethink this sub stuff.
    maybe I should sub out all my plowing for 25 an hour, keep 75 for me. Ill go do the salt, have kids shovel, and never beat on my truck or plow again.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  8. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I got $55 per hour last year using my truck. I only did it as I don't have enough accounts to keep me busy as it was my first year. I would not sub for $25 per hour as it would not be worth my time. Especially considering that I get an average of $40 per driveway that takes me on average 10 minutes.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  9. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

You Have Got To Be Kidding!!?????? Wtf??????

Now that sux.Sorry for venting, but I gotta say this.I Have a clean C.D.L. license,Previous experience plowing, loading ,wingman ect with a highway dept,and I cannot get a break to even get hired for ANY local,town,village State highway ,dpw job in this lovely state of N.Y.I do not mean in any way to sound boastful so please do not think I am Boasting when I say that I can operate any piece of equipment without pounding it and certainly correctly and safely.I do however admit openly I am terrible on a bulldozer(I can make a great washboard if I don't push 6" of dirt where I should have only moved 2" first.I have been at my present job 9 1/2 years and am making only $16.30/hr presently.ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
  10. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

im sry, i miss stated my ernings thats what the drivers get. me(i.e. the company gets 65.30 an hr.) and i pay the drivers and my self 25 an hr. and since there my rigs the company pays all that good stuff(fuel, maint, repair) sry bout any confusion. the insurance isnt really that bad, since my drivers have cdl's and clean driving records we get a good deal, at least i think we do....(id have to check with the book keeper)
  11. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

Now that makes a bit more sense.
    i sure could'nt imagine 25 bucks and all the expense added to it.
    talking snow here and I hear thunder in the distance, they are forcasting heat index in the 90s for today, unreal for this time of year.
  12. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

Michigan-DOT is also hiring I see. Looks like around the K-Zoo area.
    Jobs are classified as "Temporary, Non Career".
    I did some checking as to what Temp, non career meant.
    No benefits, no insurance, and limited to 720 hours of work in a calender year. Then it's SeeYa, bubbye !!!
    Starting wage of $13.45/hr.
    Kinda like a McJob.

13. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

NH Dot

There website still has a bunch of postings listed but I could only dream of going there to live.This great state of N.Y. :rolleyes: ,is political it is not funny.
  14. Oshkosh

That is why I am leaving Massachusetts...

Join the club, only I have an interview Tomorrow(NH). :waving: Had enough of these Massholes.lol Born and raised here time to leave.
  15. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

I would like to say :drinkup: and good luck with the interview.Hope it works out for you.Let me know how bad the cost of living is there.(taxes,ect.)I just may pull up stakes yet and go.
  16. Oshkosh

Cost of living

Well,You can still purchase a nice home and some land (couple of acres)for under $150,000.There where a half dozen houses for $100,000 range.Down my way now a starter home is $350,000 and that is pretty much a gut job!
    Yes the wages are a bit less than down here but only a couple of dollars an hour.With the cost of realestate so much less it isnt even a concern.Plus with a state/town dot job you are out of work everyday at 3pm/weekends off during the good weather so I will still do firewood as a side line.
    There is NO state income tax,Auto Insurance is Half of what Massachusetts is(I mean half,My one ton is $1,200 here in mass I was quoted $600 for the same coverage in NH????).Property taxes are a bit high but the houses cost so much less I wouldnt even notice.
    In the Conway area if you are into the outdoors at all there are Five major ski areas,Great white water kayaking,Hiking trails,Camping,The White Mountain National forest which is something like 800,000 acres surrounds the area.Snowmobile trails up into Canada,Lakes everywhere just a fun place to be.It is a year round resort area.
    I figure I might as well work where I would like to retire.Seems like a plan anyways.
    You should check it out,and thank you for the good luck.
    :drinkup: Back at you.
  17. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Make the switch to NH. I love that state. I've been all over it and found no place I don't like. From the coast in Portsmouth, to Franconia Notch and all that area has to offer, to the Connecticut Lakes up in the Pittsburg area. It's all nice. What area would you being moving to?
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  18. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

penndot workers...if you live in pa you know about them in the summer. theres one guy working and three standing around thats why they pay so little theyre all shovel leaners
  19. Oshkosh

North Conway Area,Right in the heart of snow country.

The North Conway area(4 seasons resort area) looks good to me.There is everything to do there,All the modern conveniences yet a couple miles outside of town you have all the privacy that you could want.
    I thought about Maine,I love Maine also, but New Hampshire has come up twice, once in the Wall Street Journal and once in Forbes for one of the Top four states to run a small business in the country.
    They take into account all aspects of business,Cost of land/realestate,the health of the economy, insurance,salaries,fuel, Cost of living etc...all the way down the line.It was the only New England state in the top ten.After paying, paying, paying in Massachusetts I figured it was time to make the move.
    Back to Maine, between the taxes and lack of work in some areas New Hampshire was a better fit for me.
    Thats my story. :waving:
  20. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

When I get my digital camera set up I'll be more than happy to post pix of what kind of damage to curbing, guard rails, and other infrastructure $11.00/hr plowers do for PennDOT.
    I Get to watch my tax dollars at waste firsthand every year... :gunsfiring:

Allagash you hit the nail on the head... 11 bucks an hour for a CDL????? What did they expect?