1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driver Salaries Fairfield County

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jean, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Jean

Jean Junior Member

I am located in Fairfield County and would like comments on a driver salary of $35.00/hour using our euipment. Also if anyone knows what the going hourly rate is for a driver with their own equipment.

I am bidding on a large commercial property and am putting together the numbers for my boyfriend. We were approached by the client in question, so there is no "stealing an account" involved here (no it's not Walmart!). I have been reading lots of posts and want to avoid submitting a low-ball bid. So your guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jean

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Using your trucks that sounds like a good price. Make sure you get someone the is honest if at all possible to keep the bigger scratches off it.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

we do $25 for a driver in one of our trucks and $65/hour for a sub in their own truck

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

$35 sounds about right then, for Fairfield County especially. ;)

5. Jean

Jean Junior Member

Driver Salaries

Thanks Reaper and DBL purplebou

Although you are not in the same area as I am, your salary inputis very helpful. I would like to use subs, gets the maintenance uncertainty out of my cost projections as well as the worker's comp expense, but For a commercial account (not parking lots), I want the trucks uniformly painted, but my bf still may still have to use one if we need an extra truck to get the job done.

Reaper, yes finding good employees that don't break our stuff is always a priority. I just suggested to my bf that he hire some bored retirees (55+). My Dad (75) can't sit still, and would plow in a nanosecond if somebody offered him a job and he did not live in Florida. A 15 hour shift in a huge snow would be trying on an older gent (2 shifts would solve), but I would expect the benefits to be an ontime conscientious careful employee, also it seems to me that retirees seem to always be up at the crack of dawn anyway.

Been kicking it around in my head in any case, wondering what "fitness" tests to require as a condition of employment...first and foremost an eyetest and doctor's note!

Just mulling it over. Got the idea from my parents who are constantly solicited by Walmart and Disney. Disney even runs buses out of their retirment community to and from work! These two monoliths have discovered a "new" pool of potential employees with SSNs and a good work ethic. They might be onto something there.

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a retired guy running one of my Internationals on one of the three municipal routes we have. He's probably in his early to mid-70's and he is one of my most reliable drivers. He stays just as long as the rest of us and on some storns depending upon the timing longer.

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

$35 an hour? As in $72k a year? I may have to quit my network job and do plowing full time...the money's better...though the hours might be a pain.

8. Jean

Jean Junior Member

Driver Salaries

hmm I guess you are saying $35's too high, i am think I might be a little high too, but wehave to pay up for the draw backs: ready all winter at a moments notice, middle of the night runs, long hgours in big storms, unsteady monthly income and freezing your butt off to name a few...and you'd only see 72k/year on a full time basis...

so you still want to move to CT?

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I already live in the snow belt, so SE CT would be a reduction in the snow I see annually.

Is that rate a flat hourly paid during the snow season then regardless of hours worked per week or is it all subject to time and a half over 40 hours, etc.

I honestly don't know what a fair wage is for a professional plowman during the winter months...I was surprised that it would be that high. Frankly I think its great...I think its an under-appreciated job that most of the rest of us couldn't do half as competently. Whenever I happen to see a plowman at the convenince store though I try to remember to buy him a cup of coffee or cocoa.

10. Jean

Jean Junior Member

Driver Salaries

Flat hourly...and it would take alot of snow for me to get into time and a half territory. I have 1 more driver than the bare minimum to avoid a time and a half situation. It is a really tough job, I have mucho respect for all of you guys...I've ridden sidecar a couple of times starting before dawn and ending 15 hours later....ouch!

11. shamp

shamp Member

I think $35.00 is good for an experienced driver but would not wont to pay a newbie more than $25.00.Subs get between $45.00-$65.00 more if they have a spreader on the back!

12. go plow

go plow Senior Member

are you guys talking a pickup or dump with sander?? i would say that between $55 and $65 is fair for a pickup with a 71/2 plow as far as a dump with a 9ft plow and a sander, now your talking between $100.00 to $150.00 per hour... and here's another thing you might want to work out with your subs, fuel !! i know for myself that if some one local to me needed help i would help them in a seconds notice, but as far as sub work, i make more on my own, i know that is not the case for you ,but you have to put yourself in your subs shoes, would you beat the living crap out of your truck and not get paid for it, all it takes is the tranny to go and your out 4k... just be fair, and it sounds like you are!!!

13. Jean

Jean Junior Member

Seniors

Big Dog, you confirm my hunch, I am going to put on my thinking cap and figure out how to target that audience. I'll need 3 great guys if we get this contract. Thanks!

14. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would go broke paying $35 an hour for a driver. I got guys coming out of the wood work, for $20 an hour.

15. premier homes

premier homes Member

snow is only about 5-6 months long, and most plowing is done at night. i pay 10.00 per hour and my guy takes my 2005 home with him. he also works for me all year long, but like i said the truck use is part of his pay.

16. premier homes

premier homes Member

$10 sounds better to me. but theres alot of competition out here

17. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

That's a pretty sweet deal, so he gets to use the truck for whatever. What about gas costs and stuff like that?

18. Jean

Jean Junior Member

Driver Salaries

Okay, I am convinced that $35/hour is too high, thanks for all the input. Someone asked about gas expense, it's included in my expenses/run included in my costs already, but I hadn't thought about what the guy would be doing with my truck when he was not plowing...(replacement cost low) I'll think on that now...thanks all.

Jean

19. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

pay

I pay my drivers 30 dollars a hour to use my equipment
    You need to pay the right price to get good drivers.

20. TurfTalent

TurfTalent Junior Member

$35.00 an hour

Maybe its just the area but, I pay $15.00 an hour for my drivers and shovelers and have never had a problem hiring. I have had the same workers return each winter for work.