1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driver damage my truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by APLC, Jan 13, 2010.

1. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Ok this is what is going on guys,

I have a year round employee that plows most of my Residential while im doing the commercial part. This is his first year plowing for me but has plowed in the past with other companies, Well he has backed into a mailbox, a nice Rubbermaid one (that I will have to pay for) also has broken out the tail lights, also put a huge dent in my tailgate, and put a big scratch down the rear side (all in one storm). I told him his A** is on his way out:angry:, and I think he should at least pay for the tail lights. I understand that it could be a accident but should I have to pay for his accident's? also I could understand if it was just one thing but all that in one storm thats a little much for a seasoned driver, and I would pay if it was just a mailbox or some landscaping/grass but thats just my thoughts just wondering what you guys would do.

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Always been my experience that the owner of the company pays for damages and accidents.

3. APLC

APLC Senior Member

even if it is driver neglect? thanks for the input

4. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

We are all big business owners, with it comes risks. You should not make him pay for any of it. When one of my drivers damages something, we talk about and move on. I pay. Sometimes its my fault for not training properly.

5. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

suggest a bonus system to him. It works for all the wall street banks

6. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

even if the driver is neglectful the owner is responsible and you can't charge him for the accident. It's kind of a crappy deal but its the way it works. I have had drivers total out trucks from not paying attention and i have to choose to fire them and replace or fix the truck or keep them around and hope they learned a lesson so i can recoup my losses, by making them work harder for their money.
    I pay snow bonuses at the end of the season and if they have any accidents they forfeit their bonus.
    So i guess decide if he or she is worth keeping and fix your truck and move on.

7. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

We're not all big business owners. I, also, have had other guy's use my equipment and, fortunately, there were never any accidents during their use.
    Though, I would never feel ashamed to have them pay for part of the damage.
    I also payed them less as they were using my fuel and my equipment, but, that was only to cover the insurance and the fuel for heavens sakes. Not property damage.

I would lay it on the line.
    Does he do drugs or drink at all? All in one storm sounds a little fishy to me.
    Installing a new mailbox isnt a problem, but, a scratch down the side of the truck and a new tailight...that hurts.
    "Comin' out of your pay, kid."

Now if he was using his truck and hit that mailbox and damaged his truck, you should pay for the mailbox.
    Get what I'm saying?

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Not at all.

I agree with the others....if he's in a company truck and does property damage, or damages the truck, the company/owner absorbs this.

What you are describing is a sub. He pays for any damages or makes it go away by doing the repair himself on his own time.

9. APLC

APLC Senior Member

I can understand that being the owner and taking care of it, its not the price that is pissing me off its the total disregard for my equipment, yeah its my truck,gas,and name. and I pay him well. as far a drugs or drinking im not shure anything is possible thanks for all the input i think this thread will go far

10. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

It's a cost of doing business. Legally you CANNOT make him pay for it. You cannot garnish wages for it. Chock it up as lesson learned.

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Your Truck...Your Driver...Your Bill...Get rid of him....

12. APLC

APLC Senior Member

yeah I think he is on his way out for more then just this

13. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

owner eats the cost
    I have had some huge screw ups by employees all i do is get rid of them
    you have a guy running a plow truck expect it to get f-ed up.
    Unless he was drunk or something I eat the cost part of owning a business.
    I agree here I know I am legally responsible in almost all cases. You pay him to work and what happens there is your problem. It will teach you who are good employees. We all have accidents but if the disrespect the equip fire em.

14. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

The company I work for, at the beginning of snow season we sign a contract saying that first accident we have to pay $500 deductible for the accident, even if its fixed inhouse still have to pay it unless the repair is less than that. Second accident you pay 1/2 the deductible and can't drive company vehicles for six months. Third accident you pay full deductible and cant drive for a year. Some get fired if they get to that point, others dont. It all just depends on the circumstances that go along with that particular employee.

15. APLC

APLC Senior Member

fairrpe86 The company I work for, at the beginning of snow season we sign a contract saying that first accident we have to pay $500 deductible for the accident, even if its fixed inhouse still have to pay it unless the repair is less than that. Second accident you pay 1/2 the deductible and can't drive company vehicles for six months. Third accident you pay full deductible and cant drive for a year. Some get fired if they get to that point, others dont. It all just depends on the circumstances that go along with that particular employee.

that sounds fair, especially if your in new trucks and such thanks for sharing Fairrpe86

16. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

When I worked for a large landscape company, It stated in the employee manual that any damages caused by an employee due to careless negligence, will pay for such damages.

But, this is Ohio.

17. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

you can not legally do this with an employee or a contract employee using your equipment, you can do this with a sub who is operating his own equipment on your insurance policy. It would never hold up in a court of law signed document or not.

18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I was wondering if you could set something up ahead of time like is described here. That's what I would like to do if legal.

19. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

same as the other you can not legally do this, employee's are regulated by federal law and you can not charge an employee for damages to company owned equipment. if you do a drug and alcohol test and find they where in fact on drugs or alcohol you can press charges against them for any and all accidents but you still can not charge them personally for damages done to company equipment while on company time.

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Your insurance should cover the damage but I would sure as hell fire him.
    Especially if it was all done in 1 storm.....by the end of winter you wont have a truck left