1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveline noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sechracer, Nov 10, 2009.

1. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Ok guys, I got a question bout my truck. I recently replaced the driveshaft and Ujoints. Right before I did that, I started hearing this clunk/click sound comming from the back of the truck. Being that my driveshaft was shot I figured it was that. Guess not. I do not hear it in reverse, only in drive. I hear it on flat roads and even on hills if I am maintaining a steady speed (30 mph or so). There is a small amount of play in the rear end. But I doubt that would make a difference when going uphill.

97 GMC 305 vortec with the 4l60e tranny
  2. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Clean fluid in rear diff?

Rear diff.full of oil?
    Maybe a rear wheel bearing, rear pinion issue?
    Transfer case full of oil?
    Tire noise?
    Just throwing our some guesses.

Good luck
  3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Unfortuntly its not a tire noise. I just greased the daylights out of the tranny spline and greased the ujoints more. Still there. Have to check the rearend next.
  4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Heh, my 98 Tahoe(4x4) does the same noise. I was told it is the transfer case output shaft bearing making noise. I also replace the U-joints (rear) u-joints and the front driveshaft U-joints and the noise is still there. It has been making noise for a while now. I just made sure the transfer case is full. I might take it apart someday.