1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveline grind/vibe

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DieselSlug, Dec 5, 2011.

1. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Recently started pickup up a grind/vibe when I turn the wheel to the passenger side. Found a little play in the steering. Replaced idler arm and bracket (was sloppy). There is still some play in the steering which possibly looks like a drivers outer tie rod. Going to be replacing that shrotly. Crawled underneath the truck yesturday to check driveshafts, the front shaft feels "loose" where the two bones of the u-joint are clamped in with straps at the front yoke. I can slide the bones of the joint back and forth under the straps.

Also i noticed a small amount of play where the slip joint is on the front shaft. When you apply a forde perpendicular to the shaft you can see a tiny amount of play at this joint also. The joint looks wet and i doo grease it regularly. Is there any tolerance for play at the slip joint?

Ended up replacing the joint. However my luck has it always that the new joint is even looser than the old!!

Sorry for the crummy video, my good camera was left at work and the truck was plastered in a wonderful wet salty mess. I love NY...

Clamps are tight. Is the yoke supposed to have tabs to keep the u-joint centered? The yoke is very smooth on the inside. I am thinking its way worn out? The new joint has play every which way, the old joint only had play sliding in and out under the straps. Ideas? Looks like the next bet is to replace the yoke?
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If you are getting a grinding noise, then that's usually the bearing falling out of the U-joint. If there is any play at all, replace it.

Personally, on the slip yoke, I wouldn't worry about it. Do you ever really hear of someone trashing a slip yoke?

3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

WOW that universal is junk! I don't know how long you've been driving it like that, but don't drive it 'til the u-joint is replaced. That should be rock solid in those clamps.

The sound you describe doesn't sound like anything that would come from steering parts.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  4. DieselSlug

The grinding noise was worse with the driveshaft in, currently its out, however i still have a small grinding issue when turning to the passenger side about 1/2 a steering wheel rotation. Any past that and you dont notice it. True on the slip yoke.
  5. DieselSlug

That u-joint in the video is brand new. The old u-joint was loose behind the straps, but no where near this loose. Currently running w/o the front shaft installed. NAPA doesnt list a new yoke. Crap...payup
  6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Hub/bearing IMO.
  7. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I agree, and the passenger side usually goes first because the crown in the road puts the weight of the truck on the passenger side.

Jack up the arm and grab the top and bottom of the tire pull and push and push and pull or spin it.

right when the tire hits the ground watch for play when lowering it.

Good luck
  8. DieselSlug

Thanks guys, i was wondering if there was a few more things wrong than i thought Last winter i replaced the passenger side hub and bearing assembly. Best to check the drivers side.
  9. DieselSlug

Also called my local GM dealer. They quoted me $79.92 for the pinion yoke. Does anyone know if this is a one size fits all? I.E. 1500-3500, have the same front pumpkin?
  10. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

its also possible that someone put the wrong ujoint in the box , that could be a crossover joint of some type. like a 344r to a 1310 or something.
  11. DieselSlug

I was thinking of any swap ups that could have happened. It fits in the driveshaft side perfect tho?
  12. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Don't count out the passenger side part that you recently replaced, it's not uncommon for a new one to fail quickly.

Also, if it fails the tests then it's definitely bad, but sometimes they pass the test and are still bad...then the only way to find out is to replace it. :( Obviously it makes sense to troubleshoot everything that can be diagnosed free/cheaply first in that case.
  13. DieselSlug

Very true, especially with these hubs for the 2500's, they are wicked expensive!!