1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drive Way Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Alpha Property, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

Hello Everyone, I am so glad to have stumbled on this site and the sister site Lawnsite.com. With that being said, I'm 20 years old and have decided to turn my lawn cutting business into a full time carear and have had a pritty good first summer just cutting lawns and trimming the odd hedge, but its now mid summer and i'm starting to think about what to do all winter long. I have about 30 lawn cutting customers that have expressed interest in having me take care of there snow removal for the winter. Now most of this is smaller sized driveways with one small church parkinglot. I'm looking to purchace a piece of equipment to run for the winter, i do not want to plow with my truck, does anyone have a budget minded sugestion for a machine that will work best for driveways and small parkinglots thats under 7000lbs so i can still tow it in my trailer with my truck?
    Thanks!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't want to use your truck you only really have 3 choices atv,snowblower or shovel.You didn't say what type of truck you have.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a skidloader. You can expand your lawncare to include some dirt moving to keep the machine busy alot of the year. JMO

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think a skid is good for a few drives ,it will take you longer to load and unload it.

5. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

small driveways a snowblower would work good, but it wouldnt be good for small lots. a small tractor wouldnt be bad with a snowblower/blade om it but like grandview said loading/unloading gets time consuming and old real fast. what kind of truck do you have , and why dont you want to plow with it..?

6. Alpha Property

I have a 2000 Chev Z71 with a 5.3L, its got close to 300 000km's on it and i don't want the cost of replacing transfer cases and trannys, also in ontario as far as i can gather, its close to $5000 for plow insurance, but if i plow with a tractor, front end loader, skid steer, something along those lines, i just have to insure the machine for theft and then my business liability will cover the snow with no additional wavers for the snow... so i was thinking $5000 for a plow, and $5000 for insurance... i already have the truck and trailer, so for $10 000 range, get a piece of equipment and i'll save myself the insurance for next year. and i own a simplicity 50" cut zero turn mower, i've seen the plow kits for those, and they would prob do a deacent job for the small driveways with 4inches or less of snow but not for the parking lot, i like the idea of something more with a loader so i can pile the snow... i don't know, small compact tractor with a loader and a 3 point hitch with PTO so i can run some kind of cutting deck or stump grinder in the summer? but i do like the idea of having an ATV to play with in the off season on the 3 days a summer i took off this year so far

7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i think your best bet would be tractor with bucket/blade then get a cheap walkbehind blower for small drives... for the price you want to spend you could get a lot nicer tractor than you could a skidsteer ... why so much for insurance? i pay 2300 a year for business liability and commercial auto, id check into that... another possibility if you can find cheaper insurance sell your truck and get a newer 3/4ton w /less miles and a plow.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree with the time it takes to load and unload but it looks to me like he has no choice. Driving a small tractor from drive to drive is time consuming unless the drives are close to each other. JMO

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you i had an idea , that might work

what about a used Gator, or kaw, mule? somthing along those lines.? granded you are sill gonna pay some coin, but you could get one with a cab an drive it job to job? would have a small bed for blowers or salt.. does like 20mph? or better , if all you jobs are in one town - for the drives you might need to make or but a rear plow of some kind , 2 seats, for ur budy to help you with,

just a though... you van buy a used plow truck for about 5 k with the blade, i would more lean towards that....

If you business insurance will cover yo for snow, just besure that includes the common slip and fall -

10. Alpha Property

I was looking at the bobcat Tool Cat, but even the used ones are going for $15- $20 000, and my jobs will be in clusters in three small towns, the most time i'd have to spend in the truck is 20min in good weather to drive from one cluster to annother, is anyone plowing with side by sides? or argo's? 6x6 atv's, and i can see what u guys are saying about being a pain to load and off load, but i do the same thing all summer long cutting lawns, drop the ramp, cut for 15min, load back up, drive 5 min to the next house and repeat

11. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

ATV sounds like it would work good for you I can unload mine pretty fast

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

What about a used bobcat with a bucket, for larger drives/lots, and a nice walkbehind snowblower, for the smaller stuff?

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

dropping the ramp in the summer time, is much different than the winter.... Time is money... you need to strap down equiptment a little better ..in the summer , sure i just roll the mower up there... they move while i drive... but on snow that movement or weighht shift could cause you to slide,

ur also gonna be alot more tired... I would say, if you had the abblity to trailer it, plow say 6 drives before putting it back up, then you might have a chance

truthfully, I would just spend the money and put the plow on ur truck... or buy a used one, heck you can get a used unimount for less than 1500 in good shape ,

30 might be too many , if you said you have 20 mins travel on a good day, that means 35 on a snow day at least....

after 6 hours people start to wonder were u are , and y they have not been cleared..... if each drive took you 10 mins, which might be really fast for an ATV, = 6 accounts per hr.... so 5 hours of plowing , not including loading ,and travel time... id say if ur gonna do all 30 , u need help