1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drive way rig options......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by newhere, Oct 26, 2010.

1. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Ok guys i have around 100 drives all within a 5 mile radius i need to plow. None are real big, if anything they are on the small side. Plenty of places to put snow, most are real tight though and become a pain to jockey around in with a full size truck and plow.

Im looking for a better option and this is where im drawing a blank.

option 1- box truck with blower and a ditchwitch zahn (already own) No plow on the truck though, all work will be done with the zahn. This thing is the cats a$$ on a 4" minus snow fall but ive never used it on anything over that. im worried it wont be enough. The zahn has a 4' blade with 1' optional wings on both sides.

option 2- Canyon set up with a 7'6" straight blade. Bed with ramps to unload a snowblower and a ditch witch zahn with a blade.

option 3- John deere 4520 with a 8'2" v on the front and some sort of blower on the back for when i need to get rid of the snow. This machine would have to road itself at 15mph, wouldn't be a big deal because it would never go more than a mile with out stopping.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5817820

what do you guys think? what sounds good?

2. capitalsnow

capitalsnow Member

Option 3, but if you dont mind me asking, why such a small tractor? get a 6000series slap a inverted blower on it and you will make short work of those laneways

3. proscaper

proscaper Junior Member

Option 3 looks pretty sweet to me. Especially with a cab and heater!!!

On bigger snows if you needed to run two machines you could also consider a blower for the ditchwitch, we have a MT55 with a rotary broom for the light snows and a blower for the bigger ones that clears walks in one pass very efficiently, VERY cold however

4. newhere

from Fenton

but option 3 also is the most expensive :cry:

i dont want a bigger tractor because i want something small and extremely maneuverable. Not to mention people always have a fear of big equipment on their drive.

5. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

I like the option 3 if you have that money to spend or have you ever thought of a tool cat?

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think you gotta tell us more about these 100 drives. Condos, private homes, town homes, how wide or long? How many together before you drive to the next area?

I'm already thinking 2-speed skidsteer, but need to know more.

7. newhere

from Fenton

ohhh crap that was my other option was to get a toolcat or a gator and put a little v-blade on it. But i would still need a box truck to haul it.

8. newhere

from Fenton

whats the top speed on a cat c series skid?

most drives are just in a normal residential subdivisions. most are 20' wide and anywhere from 60' to 150' feet long. The majority would be 90' long. A few have loops also.

9. newhere

from Fenton

12mph on the 2spd skid.....not bad but not good.

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think you're gonna need 2 or 3 of whatever you decide on. 100 drives that big will take a while.

11. VIPHGM

VIPHGM Senior Member

Option 4 - look do all the driveways your self in under 6 hours... if they are that close to each other... go spend the money on this its a sno knotrol rear mounted plow.... u back in its 8' wide with 2 4' fold out wings that you can adjust to the size of the driveway and pull out each driveway with 1 swipe, complete each driveway in under 2 mins tops even with bottom drive clean up, and have a cheap labor in the truck to run up the front walk way and do that as your pulling out the drive and tighting it up. the plow is about 6k but if your doing 100 plus around here your pulling atleast 30k this winter alone and you dont have a huge payroll from it.... i have been wanting one of these plows and i still might buy it this year

12. newhere

from Fenton

thats kinda why i was leaning towards the canyon and zahn comb pack. I dont have any drives that are all alone. The smallest is groups of three but never less. A few areas i have 15 in a row. The guys could split up and then get back together when its time to move out. And they could switch back and fourth every hour so one guy isnt freezing balls all night.

13. newhere

from Fenton

yeah im at 450 seasonal rate per drive. All must pre pay in full to get that rate.

well almost all the drives are side entry so that throws a little curve into that plan though.

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

How abot a jeep wrangler with plow, small, tight turning, plenty of power.
    Lots of us use them for driveways.

15. newhere

from Fenton

its just a personal kinda thing but i think jeeps are for weekend warriors. Im not putting my name on the side of that kinda rig. I know that will chap your bum and i agree they do the job swell but it just doesnt look like a professional rig to me.

16. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

You may not think its very professional looking, but what other purposes are you using the JD or other after the season? Personally the jeeps we own have brought $$$$ with minimal investment.
    I'm with plowmeister on this one

17. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I deffinately say this is your best option also. I know a couple guys in town and they are absolutely perfect for this. I can see where your coming from on this one but honestly, its better than driving a small tractor all through town.. and hey, you can still be a weekend warrior on the off days :nod: My father used to plow with an old jeep wrangler and LOVED it. He now plows with an F250 with a stainless steel x blade, and he misses plowing with the jeep, he says for residential driveways it was faster and easier than with his big truck.

I personally dont think that its unprofessional, being professional is knowing what is the best option and the best tool for the job.

18. salopez

salopez Senior Member

toolcats top speed stock is 18mph, but can be upped to 25... we have one with a sweeper, blade, and blower...very nice.

19. Toxic

Toxic Junior Member

My choice would be the tractor with a blower on the back. Wouldn't even bother with a blade on the front . I can't understand why most guys on here talking about using a tractor for drives think they need a blade and a blower. Dragging the snow to the bottom of the drive then turning around to blow it away seems like a waste of time to me. If you got the blower just back in and blow it all away the first time and your done. That tractor could handle a 6-7ft blower without any trouble and that would clear most driveways in 3-4 passes. Done nice and clean, no big annoying piles and your off to the next one in about 2-3 minutes.try doing that with a blade.

20. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

skidsteer with a push/pull box would be your ultimate way. Pull into the driveway, flip the bucket forward and pull out the snow to bottom of the driveway then push it up and on the lawn.