1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drive way price question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowguy01, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I have been in snow removal for a long time now and every time I turn around the price per drive way push goes down again. I was reading a article on one of my snow magazine and this guy was saying that they would get 40.00 per push for a standard two car drive way. what are the rest of you getting our rate was 15-18 now we have people doing them for 12-15 and the newest is Just plowing we plow for 10-12 per drive way. When is it going to stop I Hear people saying that they wont be around long for them prices well let me tell you if they leave there are twenty other companys that now have lowered there price to compete. I cant take it anymore. I guess my question for you all is were are you price at. thanks

2. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I get $20 per drive, $15 for the small drives. That's the only way I can have any work in my town because the company that has like 150 accounts in town has it at that price and it's been that way for years. When I started plowing, it was $25 per drive for me, and once people started talking to neighbors and learning that the other company was doing it for $15, they dropped me right away even though I did a much better job.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I went up this year my minimum is 40 my highest is 70

4. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I know the last few years we are going backwards how I have a dodge cummins and a blizzard 8-10 if you put the sticker price on the window and the plow it is over 60k for the truck and plow why would i want to plow for a 10 dollar drive I am really thinking about closing the doors on my plow company and do something else.

5. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Is this for plowing large driveways or shovelling/blowing smaller driveways that you do by hand?

We are charging about $20-30 for the latter, so if you guys are plowing larger drives for that price then I understand your pain! Then again, I'm in Alberta, so prices here are likely a little different.

There are a ton of lowballers up here though. Everything from students to foreigners who are willing to work at a price that is so ridiculously low it wont even cover my fuel!

We do however have a new "company" called "Blojob snow removal" which is ran by 4 college girls.... I'd hire on that team. hahahaha

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

35 is my minimum.

7. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Being the cheapest guy out there isn't everything. Here is what will happen.

Cheap guy will get word of mouth advertising.

Cheap guy will get bombarded with customers.

Cheap guy will be overwhelmed with demand that he won't have the money to hire subs nor have the intelligence to raise his price to stabilize demand to manageable level.

Cheap guy will lose customers when demand is not met.

Professional companies will take over accounts for a higher price, better service, and meet the demands of their customers.

Game. Set. Match. Happens every day in the business world.

8. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I agree with you Tubby, the only way I see a problem with this is when the new lower priced guy can figure a way to improve his service and keep his price the same. It doesn't happen often but from time to time it does happen.

our min. is 25 per drive plow only and to get that price you have to be within 1/2 mile of an existing customer small drive = <15'L X <10'W

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Around here the average driveway is around 35-45 bucks. But no one has small driveways. If you are a company that is about the average price, but there are also tons of lowballers with trucks and plows that are worth under 500 bucks and driven by people on unemployment with no teeth who say they will plow an entire storm for 15 bucks for a 70 foot driveway. Those guys never last and my customers have been pretty good at realizing the difference between quality and price.

10. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

My minimum is $20.... I have one customer that wants just enough room to park a car... one push 10-15 feet........still $20

11. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

My minimum is $35.......I don't care if the driveway can only fit a skateboard. That is up to six inches......up to nine?...........$50......12 inches..........$70. That is for the minimum. For larger driveways, I have no maximum.
    When I give estimates, I explain to customers that my equipment is in excellent shape and it costs money to keep it that way. I pay taxes and have G & L insurance, plus fuel, time, etc.....you get the picture. I've turned down several this year after they told me "my last guy did it for only x amount. When I asked where he was now, they said "out of business"

12. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

15' X 10'? :eek:Wow, that's very small driveways. That's only 150sq.ft.

:rolleyes:My smallest driveways are 650sq.ft. I have some that are 1900sq.ft.

most here are like 40x30,18x40, and 18x60.payup

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I wouldnt even drop my plow for $15 in a drive
    Min is $25 for us

14. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I would say a two car drive would fit 4 cars they are pretty standard I wish I could charge 25 to 35 min but they would laugh at us and this is for only plowing no snow blowing or shoveling and these companys have been here for years I must live in the cheapest place on earth and we get well over 100+ inches every year.

15. birddog50

birddog50 Junior Member

My minimum is $25 for a small, basic drive. Any size or complication goes up from there. I will say I do have one drive in a HOA that I plow I do for $15. People are south for the winter, don't care when I get to it and only want one pass to make it look like someone is there, plus I am already there.

16. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Well said.

17. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I start at minimum of $40, biggest is $110....for up to 8"
    Over 8" inches is 1.75x the less than 8" price....hence the min over 8" is $70
    I am above average in terms of price, but have a excellent reputation and referrals.
    The only time we lose customers is if they move.

18. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Soooooo you could say that your $40 minimum is like for a 10'x15'? and your biggest is like a parking lot?

Not trying to come off as a jerk, but when guys on here keep talking about "my minimum is $$ and my biggest is $$, that don't really mean anything to us because if $40 a 10'x15' might be good $$, but if your talking about a 24'x80' then maybe not!

So please, when you guys talk about your minimum's, add a little more info like size of the driveway, and don't say "our driveways are average here" because what's average to one is not average to another....

I hope I'm making some sense here.

19. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

Yeah your making perfect sense. There's nothing wrong with trying to get accurate info that your looking for.

20. B&B Plowing

B&B Plowing Junior Member

My minimum is $40, But that also includes shoveling the walk ways and salting them and the driveway thats 2 cars wide and 3 cars long. Also an incentive that comes along with if you send me 4 Customers that recieve my services for the whole time it snows they get their driveway done for free... You would be surprised how much more bisness that brings in...

B&B Plowing.