1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

drive train fluids

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jperry9636, Jan 30, 2008.

1. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

Hey guys just wondering how offten you guys are changing front and rear diff fluid and transfer case and tranny and what you are using. Any info would be great I have a 05 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 with 45000 on the clock. Thanks guys.

Later,
    Jack

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

front I top of when it needs it, the seals leak. rear diff is long life synethic 100,000. T-case 190,000 never changed it seems like it is time. Tranny I had flushed at 40,000 then changed fliud and filter at 110,000 then again at 170,000

3. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Do you have a limited slip in the rear end. If you do they take a special type of gear oil or an additive to gear oil so the clutches won't be so grabby.

Also, I would reccomend changing it more often if you do have a limited slip b/c keep in mind that you do have clutches in there and every time you turn on dry pavement one of them has to slip, so over time you get that clutch material in your oil which isn't good for bearings. If you have an open diff than just use regular gear lube(no additive needed) and 100,000 is about right.

4. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

I do have the 410 posi traction rear end and the push button 4x4 if that makes any difference.

Later,
    Jack

5. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

No one else wants to chime in with their maintance. Just looking for what works and what does not. Thanks for all your help.

Later,
    Jack

6. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I've got 98K on my 03 2500HD and just did my second tranny fluid change. I also changed the filter. I'm going to change the front and rear diff fluid very shortly as well as the transfer case fluid. If I were you, I'd concentrate on the tranny right now, but not sure how hard you work the truck. If you tow heavy or plow alot, change the tranny filter and fluid once a year.

7. doh

doh Senior Member

Diff's every 100000kms (60000miles)

Tranny every year, (but I have a temp gauge installed so I don't change the filter)

Transfer Case, every 100000 miles.

8. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

Thanks for the info but what do you guys suggest for the fluids. That is what weight and brands do you suggest.

Thanks,
    Jack

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All Royal Purple synthetics here. Redline is good also.

Front diff: 75W-90 RP gear oil
    Rear diff: 75W-140 RP gear oil
    Transfer case: RP's Syncromax MTL lubricant (works better in the 263 push button T-cases than the standard ATF it calls for)

10. TEX

TEX Senior Member

how hard do you work the truck? for sure id flush the tranny seeing your close to 50K and it wouldnt hurt to do the front & rear diffs but i wouldnt think you need to do the t case just yet.

id go with full synthetic like amsoil or another good quality brand.

for the diffs you can get 75/90 or 75/110 if you want a little heavier

for the trans synthetic atf and i would flush it and drop the pan both and change the filter too.

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I run Amsoil in everything. With a new truck I change oil at or before 1,000mi then at 2,500mi then every 5,000mi for a diesel and every 3,000mi for gas. Tranny and t-case get done at 5,000mi then every 15,000mi. Axles at 15,000mi then every 30,000mi. I know I am anal but oil is cheap even Amsoil when compared to metal. Become a dealer or perfered customer and save yourself some money.

12. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

What does having a temp guage have anything to do with whether or not you change your filter? I have a water temp guage for my engine and I change my oil filter every oil change. Even if the oil doesn't get super hot, it's going to eventually get dirty and the filter will need to be replaced. For $23 bucks including gasket, I'd change it.

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I run Schaeffer lubes in everything I own,both on and off road.For your application,I would run Schaeffer 75/90 synthetic in both axles{forgot to add that almost all of Schaeffer's oils use their propietary moly formula},5/30 synthetic engine oil in your transfer case{the manufacturer is now recommending engine oil instead of ATF---says ATF vaporizes in time and oil lubes better---they also say to run 3 qts.,not 2--pour it in from the higher up plug.}Schaeffer also makes dino and synthetic ATF for your tranny.Oldest oil co. in America