1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

drive pro

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Kramer, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Has anyone bought a Meyer drive pro yet and:

1/ any info on how they work

2/ how much $ did they get for it

3/ compared to the older meyers, my dealer tells me they took care of a lot of the old problems with the new design... any idea if this is true or not??

thanks

2. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

1. they work like one of their straight blades. Just fine. Just for personal use.

2. mid 3's installed

3. I haven't heard of any problems like the old ones, but they are still too new to be 100% sure of free problems. I think it is honestly one of the toughest little personal plows. Definitely stronger than the suburbanite/homesteader.

3. 76CHEVY

76CHEVY Member

Meyers has made alot of changes over the past couple of years in order to fix the problems they had. they even chaged a couple of suppliers from what i heard becuase of problems in the feild. Just keep in mmind these are not ment for commericail use. plus i beleave that plow is coverd by the ROC warranty

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Actually they are meant for commercial use. They are a commercially graded blade meant for smaller vehciles targeting driveway plowing. Someting that most other manufacturers have steered away from. They are much more stout then the Homesteader type setup but don't weigh much more. I have studied them and seen them up close and know of one that was plowed last year with no issues.

Likely one will go on the next daily driver I get since Fisher no longer makes LD setups.

5. Ida-Snow

Ida-Snow Junior Member
    from Idaho

I have a new drive pro sitting in my garage just waiting for me to install it on my 2000 ranger 4.0 6cyl.
    i went with it mostly because of the 3/5 year warranty.

I'll keep y'all posted on how it all works out.

6. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I am having mine installed tomorrow... will let you know how it goes. Its a 2006 tacoma, access cab. I cant wait, but a little anxious as I had a fisher LD before that worked fantastic--- its hard to beat several years sraight with zero problems. Guess I better shut up now and cross my fingers.....new plow = no snow!

7. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I just talked to a Meyer/Western dealer 10 minutes ago. He gave me an incredible price for the Meyer as they bought 100 of them. Just really curious as I have always been a Western guy. I watched the new video of the mounting system and to me it looks a little (not to offend) cheap? Also I was told that big mounting bracket has to stay on the truck at all times. Is that true. I plow a lot of big lots and I don't want to buy a problem, BUT the price is $1000.00 cheaper than the Western Pro Plus. Is this a case of you get what you pay for? I am considering maybe switching teams for the cost of it...
    Thanks for any input as I am not trying to bash brands.
    Mike

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  8. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I will try and post a pic later.

When you dis-mount the plow, only the small brackets underneath are left on the truck. Looks similar to a std fisher mount in most respects. The whole plow frame comes off in general.

As far as cheap... I dunno---compared to a full size plow its a little less rugged, but compared to the homesteader (which I used as a baseline for a a small plow) then its pretty rugged. Its lighter duty then the fisher light duty versions though....as a matter of fact, I'd say its in a slightly different game...the same sized fisher ld plow (6'9") was about 150 lbs heavier than the drive pro.

I didn't look at the westerns... the western dealer near me is just plain in-competent. Is the western offering a comparable size to the drive pro and meant for the smaller trucks?Are you sure you're talking about the drive pro plow and not a 7 or 8 ft plow? The $1000 seems like a lot of difference.

The drive pro was $3500 installed. I posted a few comments on another thread. I hope it works out OK... never had a meyer before and never heard a lot of positive things about them.

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

what model meyer is he selling you?

10. Dodge Plow Pwr

Brand new. Said they just came in last week. He called it the Meyer Xpress mount. 8-1/2' was as big as he said it would be. I am trying to compare this to the Western Pro Plus. Am I even apples to apples here or am I off?

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i have a new ez plus bought last year and it is a strong straight blade..... i used it commercially and it worked as it should... i would guess any 8.5 are comm grade

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the brush guard stays on the truck on the Xpress mount series. So your pricing with the Xpress style mount but what blade series was it? Agressor? Older style C series or the new Lot Pro's? Big differences in them when trying to compare with a Western Pro Plus...which is where the $1000 differences may be coming from.

Yours would be the EZ-plus then Kramer, not the Xpress mount that Dodge plow is inquiring about that uses the brush guard looking mount. Two different mount setups. :waving:

13. Dodge Plow Pwr

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your most comfortable and familiar with a Western then I would take that into consideration when choosing a plow.

The closest comparable series in a Meyer to a Western Pro-Plus would have to be the new Lot Pro's, so thats what you want to compare and price with.

Biggest two differences between the them is the Pro-Plus is a proven plow with a good history record and the Lot Pro hasn't had a season under it's belt as of yet.

15. Dodge Plow Pwr

I think I will go with the Western. I just think the other has too many xtra moving parts to break. I like tried and true.
    thanks B&B.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Of course the decision is yours, but just for reference you can get a Lot Pro series plow with the fully mechanical EZ-Plus mounting system thats been around for years...not just the Xpress mount if you don't want all those bells and whistles. The EZ-Plus is more comparable to Westerns Ultramount series than the Xpress mount series.

Thats sort of Meyers selling point. You can choose between several different plow styles like most manufacturers.... but also a couple different mounting styles.

17. Ida-Snow

Ida-Snow Junior Member
    from Idaho

SNOW!!!

My 6'8" DrivePro got it's first taste of what's to come today.
    I'm new to plowing in a truck. I'm usually out on a tractor going 2 mph uncovered with a 1950 snowthrower,...going backwards.

I've already laughed endlessly about the difference and how many more hours I'll have to do other things this winter.

That being said, it was pretty simple to install. It seems plenty rugged to me. Does anyone else come close to the 3/5 year ROC warranty?

...anyway, it's only about 3 hours of use but I'm diggin' it so far.[​IMG]

:bluebounc

18. jkrak

jkrak Junior Member
    from midwest

Sorry to say it but I,m on my second DP and after only two minor pushes this season the second blade is torqued just like the first. Meyers made a big mistake marketing this as a commercial plow with the ROC solid warranty. First comment out of the dealers mouth was you were using it improperly and bent it. Funny how I never see anyone sitting next to me when I'm plowing. Definitely steer clear of the DP even if you are only going to plow your own driveway, eventually it will bend.

19. Ida-Snow

Ida-Snow Junior Member
    from Idaho

..honestly, i think the dealer could've been correct.

i'm a beginner and i've been plowing almost non-stop for the last 7 DAYS!

I've had no bending and no problems whatsoever....

that being said, I don't drive the hell outta my equipment.

I'd be more inclined to say, steer clear of curbs, rocks and such when plowing and slow down a bit...you could be right though,...i'll post here as soon as my blade bends or breaks.

[​IMG]

..non-stop for 7 days....

wesport

20. jkrak

jkrak Junior Member
    from midwest

Hey look another expert riding along with me! Its more than obvious, to most, that the DP is definitely not as advertised. But Ida I'm glad you feel so confident in your purchase, I hope it works out for you. Like you said, its a big step up from going 2mph in your 1950 tractor.........

Happy trails.