1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drive line ticking noise?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CashinH&P, Feb 17, 2013.

1. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Hey guys, I just noticed my truck (2004 chevy 1500 z71) making a clicking noise. It only dose it when the truck is in drive/reverse, and the truck is moving. It doesnt happen all he time, Other then this noise the truck runs and drives great.

Im thinking u joints in main drive shaft but I have not had a chance to have someone shift through the grears while im listing. But I did get up under the truck and moved the driveshaft but it doesnt have excess play in it.

Any suggestions before I start throwing parts at it?

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

cv joint or U joint , Hung up emergency brake cable . :mechanic:

3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

bad u joint on the rear shaft

4. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Well just had my gf drive the truck in the driveway so I could listen and im fairly certin its the cvjoint on the drivers side, although I do not see the boots torn at all. Im replacing my tie rod ends tomorrow anyway so im going to look into this issue now too.

The truck still drives fine soo im assuming that the joint is just starting to go which would be why there is no real visable play or a torn boot yet, right?

5. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

yea it could be on its way out

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Brake hose bracket rusted out, rubbing against seam in the wheel.

...that is to say, don't jump straight to exciting greasy mechanical conclusions. Observe everything and look for all possible causes. If the room's dark you could assume your circuit breaker has tripped, but maybe someone just turned off the light.

Actually, I would say the most common cause is a small rock stuck in the tire tread or a nail/screw embedded in the tire.

7. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I already riled out rocks/nails in the tire, took the tire off, and all looks ok, Ill find out for sure tomorrow though.

8. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Unded up being the passenger side hub. Thanks for the suggestions guys

9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Every time I think it's a hub, it ends up being a hub. Almost every time I don't suggest hub, it still ends up being a hub.

10. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

never plowing with a half ton again, rebuilt the whole front end this week. Im in the market for a 1 ton now haha

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

1Ton=**** still goes wrong now it's just more expensive.

12. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

That may be truce but, this will be the second times I do the hubs.

13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

GM's are just good at burning up hubs.