1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drive into your plow 1st time, everytime

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alaska Boss, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

One of the things that used to be a hassle for me when hooking up my plow, was driving up & into the mounts straight, without getting in & out of my truck 6 times to check which side I missed it on this time, especially at night. Then, suddenly one day, it dawned on me to make some marks on my truck & plow, so I would have something to visually line up to as I drove up to the plow & hit the mounts right on the first try. After trying several things, I came up with a system that works for me on the first try every time. When the plow is still on the truck, unhook it, but don't drive away from it,... leave it on the truck, but have the light tower, etc. tipped forward just as it will sit when you do pull away. Now, with the truck still into the mounts, mark a spot on your plow or lights (I use a light-mount stud) that you can see that's just above the hood of your truck. Then you need 2 marks on your truck. I have a wind deflector on the front of my hood, so I took a small file & made a tiny notch in the edge of it & put a dab of white paint in it, approximately in-line with the light-mount stud, then I took a black magic marker & made a small dot on the inside of my windshield, so all 3 things are lined up when my truck is sitting in the plow mounts. The black dot is below my line of vision while driving, so I never see it. I just line up the black dot with the white dot on the light-stud as I drive up to my plow, & bingo!! It works every time !! I see that BOSS makes a drive-in sight kit now too, but this will work for every plow on every truck,... just modify it to your particular application. Just thought I'd throw this out for the new guys... :waving: :waving:
  2. wddodge

wddodge Member

I have another system. I pull the truck into the garage. Then I go over and push the blade thats sitting on dollys over to the truck, getting the mounting pins lined up. Then I adjust the height with a little bottle jack thats made onto the rear dolly and put in the pins and hook up the hoses. Takes about 2 minutes.:)

3. amarino

amarino Junior Member

alaska - great tip! Thanks.
  4. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Good tip. Could be used for hitching up trailers too.
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I was just going to say, how does this guy hook up to a trailer?
  6. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

This is an awesome tip.
  7. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Great tip

I drive up to my plow from my truck then in the driver's seat I look at hood to plow,There is a point where you can see what you aim up to .
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a mark on my lift gate and on the front rail of my trailer that lines me up just right to hitch abd run......my plow is on a dolly also.

9. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

So how do you go about hitting the "G" Spot?
    JK Thanks for the tip, its cool.
  10. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Great idea, and would love to do it. But I've got a Blizzard now, and the lights don't stick up in the air when the plow is dismounted. So I can't figure out how to do this. I thought about making a bracket on the plow frame to hold the lights when off the truck - never liked just throwing them over the plow anyway. Anybody with a Blizzard have a trick similar to this?
  11. BigBurban

BigBurban Member

I just got done building a set of casters to roll my blizzard around on.

I took an 8" peice of 1" pipe and welded a peice of 3x5x1/4" plate on one end and drilled a hole on the other for a pin. Bolted a swivel caster to the bottom of the plate. These slide in where the plow shoes go.

I bolted a caster to the "foot" on the blizzard frame.

Now i can pull in the garage and wheel the plow over and hook it up in a nice heated space :drinkup:
  12. alamarc

alamarc Member

Trailers-- i just saw something in a truck magazine. It was two magnets with long dowel like poles mounted to them. One goes on the trailer right on the ball reciever and the other goes on the hitch on the truck. When you back into the trailer try and make to two hit. Then you have your position.

Plows--The older body style GM had the center bump on the hood. It matched up perfectly with the lift ram on the fishers. Thats how i do it. I can imagine the newer body style and how difficult it must be.
  13. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Before I put my MVP away in the garage I practiced mounting in a few parts of my drive way to get some practice in. I was able to get it every time on the first try. I even drove out my drive way to get out of line of the truck/plow. I just look at the two light and center them to the hood as i drive up to the plow. I only had a problem once where the plow didn't want to come off. It was unhooked but no matter how much i backed up it just stayed on. Block of wood and a 25# hammer got it loose.

I'll be taking it out of the garage soon now that the leaves are all done.
  14. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Get one of those laser pointers and tape it to the dash. Pick a point on the back of the plow light and you're done!

I'm lazy!
  15. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

You need 3 points lined up to work every time... only one path lines up 3 points in a row,.. 2 points can line up from any direction,.... it's the most conveinent to have it on the driver's side, so you can line it up without twisting your head around as you approach your plow. This is for those of us who don't have dollies or room in your garage, & have to keep it outside...
  16. bcf

bcf Senior Member

That's an excellent tip. I will be doing this when I get a chance. Thanks.
  17. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Good idea , but Boss has had it as a option as far as i know.
  18. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I agree with the above, great idea, now this is why I love this site :waving:
  19. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

My dad used to use 2 of those mechanics magnets with the extending handles kinda like antennas....

20. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

good idea.

I have a similar setup for my gooseneck trailers. 3 lines down the bed and then a weighted string hanging from the gooseneck frame. You use the bed lines to line up side to side and when the weighted string gets to the 3rd line you are exactly over the ball. Alot cheaper than a $5000 sunroof option :p