1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drilling the frame?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by connplow, Dec 7, 2007.

1. connplow

connplow Junior Member

Meyer plows require a 1" hole in the frame for the brackets. What's the best bit to use when drilling the 1" hole in the frame of my jeep. Bi-metal hole saw?

2. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

That's what I used. Greenline was the manufacturer. It's still sharp. Go slow and use lots of oil.

3. connplow

connplow Junior Member

thanx, i hate starting a project with the wrong tools.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Amen! Nothing worse then being stuck in the middle with a dismantled truck and you're missing that ONE tool to finish.

5. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

You'll be suprised on how thin the frame actually is....

6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Try doing work on a Cherokee! There isn't even a real frame on the thing. But knock on wood, it's served me well for years.

7. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Very true. If you are able to weld, drill the hole larger and weld a sleeve into it. A hole like that in the frame is a great weakness.

8. connplow

connplow Junior Member

1st run

finally got a chance to use the plow last night, a real whopper hit our area (3"). plow and jeep worked great. had to plow the driveway twice because i realized i left the skids on. i'm new at this so i can live with a few mistakes.

9. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

I'm a total noob so please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but aren't you SUPPOSED to leave the skids on? I thought they were there to help keep you from catching the blade on stuff like expansion joints in the driveway.