1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 99 z71Silverado, Dec 29, 2005.

1. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

anybody running drilled or slotted rotors? any problems with them?( i heard some guys mentioning that they may shatter?? How do they perform and are they worth it. I have stock rotors and it seems after plowing for awhile the brakes start to lose their stopping ability. For having four wheel disc brakes i think the truck would stop much better.
    Any input would be appreciated...
  2. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

The cracking used to occur on the drilled rotors. But the designs have improved greatly over the past few years, so it's not as big of an issue as it used to be.
    There is debate on which is better, drilled or slotted, or both.
    The drilled allows heat to dissipate better.
    The slotted can eat the pads up quicker.
    Both allow hot gasses to escape from between the pad and rotor, allowing better braking.

I don't know what your driving habits are like, but unless you are regularly stopping a loaded truck or racing, then chances are you would probably be better served by getting some upgraded pads, like Hawk or something similar.
    And you could see if you can find some braided brake lines to replace the rubber ones.
    Another thing to try is bleeding the brakes of all the old fluid and replacing with fresh new stuff. You'd be surprised how much some new fluid can help.

Here's a couple links...
    Hawk Brake pads
  3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

one of my buddies swears by the drilled rotors on the fords .he claims that before he started useing them they were replacing them like crazy because of warpage but after they lasted 3or4 times as long.
  4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

i run drilled and slotted rotors on my dodge, and hawk racing heavy duty pads. I also run stainless steel brake lines. the truck stops awsome. when i was havving trouble with my trailor brakes the truck had no problem stopping it. I ordered everything from the Tire Rack.
  5. gpfarrell

gpfarrell Junior Member

I'd start with hi-po pads... I have EBCs on my Mustang and they stop hard with no real noise or dust issues.

I'd avoid drilled rotors... they are designed for racing... race cars get new rotors all the time, so longevity wasn't an issue.

Maybe the new ones are better... I'm not going to be the guy that tests them though!

Slotted rotors are great... I haven't noticed any wear issues with mine.
  6. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

hey guys thanks for the input.....keep it coming because i still cant make up my mind...

-any one with slotted rotors do they really eat up pads??
    -or has any one with drilled rotors ever broken them???
    -do these rotors have shorter life, longer life, or any noticeable difference??

7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict