1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drifting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forestfireguy, Dec 23, 2009.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone have a drifting clause? We have a blizzaed clause, and we have hourly rates for "post storm drifting" but what about when things are blowing around so much that you can watch things covering over in your mirror as you push. Definitely adds to time on site. Maybe this goes to the blizzard clause maybe not, thoughts??

2. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Hmm, I guess it depends on how big the drifts are and how far it takes, sometimes I treat it like a clean up if it's just a driveway and it's only a plow width drift, I'll either just get rid of it for them, or if it's a big drift, then I'll charge half the price since it's not the whole driveway. But if you plow it and look back and it's already blowing back in, then treat it like a blizzard

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, I just treat drifts as clean up. Blizzard clause would kick in if the wind is blowing anything over 25 mph.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You've never experienced lake effect, have you?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing:

I want the following clauses my seasonal contracts, so I can charge extra for them.

Blowing, drifting, snowing, raining, icing conditions, more than six inches, less than two inches, weekend storms, daytime storms, nighttime storms, holiday storms, holiday weekend daytime storms, shoveling, stacking, on site removal, off site removal, flat tires, blown trip edges, blown trip edges resulting in blown transmissions, snow too fluffy, snow too heavy, temps too cold, temps too warm, your driveway is too wide for my plow, your driveway is too narrow for my plow, gas prices went up, salt went up, I'm cranky today and don't feel like making a sanding run at 4 am so the soccer moms can get their kids to school, cars in the parking lot, the city came by again, I left the spinner to my spreader at home, blown light bulbs, overweight fines from the DOT, islands and lights in the middle of the parking lot, parking lots with nowhere in the middle to stack snow, uneven asphalt, too many stakes, not enough stakes,

I think that's about it......

6. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I think you forgot "I just don't feel like it" lol

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Charging extra for "I just don't feel like it", now that would be just be silly....Who would pay that fee?

8. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Put it in the fine print

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

what? I can't hear you!

10. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

exactly..........

11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

No lake effect in Jersey............well sometimes a stray shower or flurry the weather weenies say is light lake effect left overs.

And winds were over 25, at least gusting according to our weather service. I'm not the type to look for things to use as add-on charges, but at the same time, I've been doing this a long time and the work that went into this last event wasn't 6-7 inches worth, it was more in line with 12-14 inches.