1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drifting and per push??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Jan 16, 2003.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Didn't really get questioned yet, but...

Yesterday we had about 4-5" Did my route and then we had some serious winds (100mph at 11,000 feet said the news guy) We had some drifting that accumulated in some of my lots. Didn't have to do the whole lot, just most of it. Some areas had 2-3 foot drifts. I am inclined to send a full push bill. What are your thoughts?
  2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Full boat.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

if you came back and spent the reasonable amount of time it usually takes you to plow, id charge for another push. not your fault their were snowdrifts. you did the work, so send em the bill.
  4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I am running into this myself(not quite 100mph winds)but drifts just the same,not the entire driveway but portions and some of it is 2'-3'+,i also charge per push and have been billing these 3/4 rate of a full push,i have yet to be questioned on it but it's something to think about to put in next years contracts.JMO though
  5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I never contemplated it either... Forgot during are two months of non-winter what can happen here. Shoulda woulda coulda join SIMA or bought a snowplowing handbook....

I am glad I got up at 430 am to check my lots, I was really supprised to see some of the lots with drifts.

6. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

visualize that 2-3' drift spead out over the whol site. full charge right. So I would take it as moving the same amount of snow, so full charge IMO
  7. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I would think so Acorn..... I agree.

I have charged less if it was just clearing the entrance of a couple small drifts. But realy, these should have probably been full charge also. Half the battle is showing up and then paying for all that equipment.

I like Acorns answer.

Heck, I almost missed it,.. But John Allen said full boat... Who are we to disagree... :D

Charge em!
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2003
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the drifts were that big,and it took you almost the normal time to clean it,then full price.
  9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I get paid per push or AT THE BANK LADY MGR. WHIMS !
    Even if its 5 times a day ! She likes clean bare blacktop.
    My bar is next door so do both at once........
    Although my bar customers could care less if its plowed
    or not ! As long as we are open all sell Cold Beverages
    and HOT coffee ! And i always have a extra spare Western
    part at 5:30 am !...........................geo

And we are getting clobbered here especially in
    Oswego, NY............Last year we got NADA !!!!!!!!!!!!

Truck and Western plow working flawlessly...NO dents
    or chases yet !...Knock on wood !
    Love those Turkey Wings too. Less passes to clean up
    and done quicker too !
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2003
  10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Full charge.
  11. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Wind makes me money. I charge my customers a percentage or full price if it takes me as long as it takes to plow the whole drive.

I plowed a third of my route because we had 30-50 mph wind.
  12. chtucker

John Allin said it best, Full boat.

Bob V
  13. phishoook

phishoook Member

Tried charging less this year, never again.

Too mant variables. What if it's only... It only took you ... What happens if you have to come back?

You have to buy an 8' 2x4 to get a seven foot piece.