1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

drift clause in contract?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stanza, Jan 26, 2004.

1. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

Does anyone have a drift clause in their contract?
    I have a nice amount of residential customers which have paid a seasonal contract for their snow removal.
    I have gotten calls saying that there is snow in their drives and cant get their cars in.
    Since I am in business, and did take their money i feel obligated to make sure that the drives are clear. Does anyone have one of these? Thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't generally use contracts, but the ones I do have have a "trigger" being "fallen or drifted" snow. People are generally paying for "access to the property". So, yes, I'd say it's your responsibility to keep the area free of drifted snow.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might think of" drift fence" next year to save you the trouble of going back multiple times each snow. Or write it into contract for 1/2 price plow when it drifts.

4. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

I have a question ? who should be responcible for installing a drift fence or spotting stakes.

I have a freind who has to go out and constantly replace his spotting stakes because there stolen. he also has a drifting area that he said he was going to install a fence on but thinks it also will be stolen.Shouldnt it be the propertiey owners responcibility to install and maintain these?

As for the original question I would think you should be allowed to charge to a secound cleaning because of the drifts.

Weather its fallen from the sky,blown over by the wind,plowing is plowing .Why should we have to work for free? if your getting a contract price for the year (not per push) and you dont have a trigger clause .Then yes you are oblogated to keep his lot open.And at that point it may be cheaper to put up a snow fence then to plow it every day.

Good Luck

5. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

you live and you learn, thanks

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

no way no drift in the clause when the snow comes back thats another charge what if got crazy windy out you have to go back for free no way :nono: and a loss of money and gas payup