1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dresser loaders info

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cmo18, Sep 18, 2012.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Looking at purchasing a Dresser loader. They seem to be very reliable, easy to maintain, and a good price for the year/hours.

I've found a 1996 Dresser 520B, with only 4000 hours on it. Its in excellent shape but cannot find any info on it.

When did dresser get bought out? Could it be a 1996 or is the owner wrong? Anything to watch out for?

Would love to hear from someone who has one!

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

not sure on the year dresser stoped but dressta i think took them over . we had a '76 hough same animal i think the '96 the engines where ok bu i was talking to a international dealer and they where going to pick one up at auction and pull out the motor and put a recon cummings in it said something about it being better for it to start in winter.

3. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I have a 540 and a 515, they are both good machines you just have to get used to the cab being on the front of the machine and not the back. The 540 is a absolute beast and nothing seems to get in its way, Dresser was briefly owned by komatsu in the 90's so check the tag underneath the cab and it will say Dresser Hough or it will say Dresser Komatsu. Just make sure you dont pay to much, because Dresser's seem to have no resale value and you should be able to get a real nice machine for way under $20k

4. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

yeah we have a 79' 540 and its great, starts right up everytime. Only thing is if you are used to runing other machines like mass snow said you have to get used to the way the cab is on the front half of the machine. Other than that if you get a good price on one they are great snow machines.

5. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

It amazes me how my 540 starts on the very first click on the coldest of cold days without starter fluid or being plugged in. Very good snow machine

6. coryweber2000

coryweber2000 Junior Member

we have a bunch of the ih dressers 530s 560s and 580s they are great machines just make sure the center pins are good they should be with that low of hours on it. It is starting to get hard to find parts for them though good luck they are good machines