1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dreaming of my ultimate plow vehicle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Oct 13, 2002.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Call me stupid, (plenty of people have) BUT

Has anyone made thier Jeep into a heavy duty plower??

I am considering starting a new rockcrawler project (tube frame) and using my TJ as a second plow vehicle. It doesn't make sense to sell the Jeep because I'll never get my mods money out (15k). Its a loooonggg story but insurance covered most of that.

The Jeep has a Hi-pinion currie 9" up front, 4.56 gears and an ARB. The rear is a Dana 44 with a detroit and of course the 4.56 gears. Auto 3ps with Advanced Adapters Atlas 3.8:1 transfer case. Heavy Duty Drive shafts by Tom Woods. Lots of other "Stuff" too.

Take out the lift springs and have custom ones made to carry 1600 lbs total extra weight (800 for a plow and 800 in balast). Everything else is heavy duty: deep tranny pan, second tranny cooler, heavy duty steering yada yada.

Would this work or am I as stupid as my wife thinks I am??

Just day dreaming here at work....

2. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Plowing with a Jeep is not such a crazy idea. I have seen alot of them set up that are stock. They would be great for getting into the tight areas that always come up in a driveway. Put a plow and a truck with a 8 ft bed and get makes for a long vehicle to manuver around in tight spaces. So go for it
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

when i was younger and first learned to plow, i used my fathers 93 jeep wrangler with a western. That thing was the best plow vehicle ever. Plow up a driveway, turn around at the top, and come back down. you could put it anywhere. It was a workhorse too. It pushed some serious snow. you could also drive it right up on the sidewalks and plow them with it(sidewalks were a little bit bigger than a standard size sidewalks cause they were in the business district) but it was wicked good to plow with.
  4. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Plowing with a Jeep

My plows have always been jeeps. I would plow with a jeep before I would even consider anything else, except maybe an
    Oshkosh or FWD monster.

Real jeeps have leaf springs, so you are well on your way to building a great plow vehicle. Get a belt driven plow pump for the best reliability.

Tell your wife that jeep plows made America great and not to worry. A jeep will get you home long after the diamond doll trucks are broken down with PCM modules, exhaust gas recirculators stuck, oxygen sensors wet and not working, or fried alternators from the electrical load.

When the weather is tough the Jeeps get going.
  5. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The 1st thing you need to do is think what type of plowing will you be doing and how much snow you get each year.
    My opinion, and I won't say what my wife thinks of my ideas, it will work fine for driveways and light duty plowing. Don't expect it to move mountains of snow or plow parking lots.
  6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

150+ inches a year and commercial...

It has 3/4 ton drivetrain. 4.0 with very low gearing, selectable locker up front. The frame is extremely stout, I have never heard of anyone bending a TJ frame.

Would it get turned around because of the short wheelbase?
  7. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I have two jeeps that have plows on them. They work great, and have alot more pushing power than most people would think. However, in your case, I would consider using a larger vehical to plow with considering your work requirements. The largest plow I would put on a jeep would be a 6'-0". I would hate to see how much extra time was needed to make up for the 2'-0" or greater in plow size with a larger vehical.

Just my 2 cents worth. CGB
  8. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Howard did you finally get the third copy of the install sheet? Finish up the plow on your Super Duty, and get building on that Jeep. If you set it up right it just might out push your Ford. I ran a 7.6 Western and a 72" back blade on my old Jeep, and a central hydraulic system to operate everything. Sure miss that old thing, it just wouldn't quit. Have fun with your projects and remember lunch is on you next time I'm out your way. John:
  9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Got the last sheet THANKS!!

Missing some hardware, got to go to Denver to get it (120 miles).

I keep thinking about the Jeep, I can make U-Turns in about a lane and a half. I had the axle built a little wider than stock, With my 35" MTRs (Of course I would go smaller plowing) I could almost get the wheels turned 40 degrees. Not good for u-joints, but I could dart around the trail.

I keep doing harder and harder trails and would like to go with something a little more purpose built.

Of course Lunch is on me... When you took the train did you notice the Brewpub on the the same street?

10. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Howard was just thinking how long ago it was that we were out there for A Harley Rally. (13years already) Thought that it was just a few years back. I think that they were still reworking the train station at that time. You know I just might aim the thing west again and come and collect that lunch. Let me know it you want me to get you a hardware bag for your install. John:rolleyes:
  11. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I'm not saying your Jeep is weak by any means. Sounds like a great 4x4 machine. My thought is that the plow vehicle needs to be heavy to push heavy amounts of snow. I would get a 2500 or 3500 single wheel pick up of your flavor and an 8' plow, better a VEE plow but a strait blade works well too.
  12. long0

long0 Senior Member

I've got a 7' meyers that I could give you a deal on. No pump or undercarriage; angle cylinders and A-frame are there, but I am not real sure if the cylinders work, it's been sitting for a couple of years.

Could probably work out a deal for shipping also, you said you own a bar right!! :drinkup:

13. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Does the quantity of beer depend on if you have to go through Glenwood or over Independance???

Oh, and if you wanted to stop in a say HI, the beer would be on me anyways.

It sure is easy to give it away when you have 3000 Gallons to play with...
  14. long0

long0 Senior Member

I always need a good excuse to go and play in the BIG mountains. Just have to figure out how to get that plow and my snowmobile in the back of the pickup. Opps, scratch the snowmobile, you got beer, and the two of those together are a big no-no :nono:

I run to Denver about 4-5 times a month, so it's no problem to swing over Tennesse to meet another crazy snowplower. And you gotta be crazy in the first place just to live in Leadville :waving:

Looking at getting $150 for it, lets make a deal! I will try and get a pic tonight when I go to the shop.

15. gmc1500

gmc1500 Junior Member
    from 06410

I use a 2000 gmc 1500 reg. cab short bed 5.3L v8 w/ the plow package. I have 255/85/16 mud tires and have jacked the tor. bars up. I have one of the most manuverable truck out there. I do parking lots w/ cars and I am able to go in and out of the cars w/ no problem. I have a 7.5' meyer plow MDII.
  16. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

I have an old 78' Jeep CJ-5 with a 7 footer on it and I like it more than a pickup with an 8 footer, the 6 cylinder pusshes like no tomorrow and it will fit just about any where you want it to. The TJ of yours with the trick axels and all the other toys sounds right on. I love Jeeps they are great for work and play.
  17. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

as long as you keep it were it will work the best and use its advantages(small size) you will be fine IMO

I've never plowed with a jeep but I know at times my truck gets slung outa shape on long runs with lotsa snow and I'm driving a 2500hd with a diesel up front(read heavy) with 900# or so of balast behind the rear wheels and a pretty long wheelbase.

Your wheel base is either an advantage or a disadvantage depending on were your at. I wont try to stuff my porky ass up a narow twisty driveway and you shouldnt try to play in a walmart parking lot if you want to be productive.

I would say if you can use your jeep for were its good at like driveways or small lots/sidewalks/blasting out tight places working with a bigger truck then go for it. But dont throw good money after bad so to speak if what you need the jeep to do is outa its level. Yes a jeep will work in a walmart lot but its not the best tool for the job.

Oh....and to steal some heep slang, "its a wheelbase thing" it will either be of benifit or of a big disatvantage depending.
  18. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

boy this is an old post

I've considered getting a 1500 standard cab short bed to put my residential crew in. Put a 7' blade on it with pro-wings. Pop the wings off and get into those tight places, but still able to move some snow with them on. Still would leave the shop with 1200 lbs of salt and 1000 lbs of ballast...Chuck