1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dream setup

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mjpeterson651, Dec 1, 2011.

1. mjpeterson651

mjpeterson651 Junior Member
    from MN

Ok, new to the forum and plowing snow.
    Have a 1/4 mile gravel driveway and asphalt drive in front of garage.
    Looking for the best set up. Would like to scrape close on the tar, but am worried about also dealing with the gravel.
    Since it's just my place, most important is a great ride. I'm trading in my Suburban LTZ (just getting up there in miles and ready for a change) and don't want to give up all the creature comforts to keep the family happy. But want a truck that can handle a plow as well. So.. .first, if money weren't an issue what would you get? Looking for something to hang onto for a while.
    Second, what plow would you go with and why? Anything special needed to handle both the gravel and the asphalt? Would prefer an easy on/off plow so that I can just put it on when I need to plow.
    Thanks!! Need to make a decision soon... I'm in MN... Snow will certainly fall soon!

p.s. have been using an ATV w/ plow. Worked okay, but would prefer a truck.

2. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

I do the same thing at home but its 80% gravel, the rest is blacktop and concrete.

I use a SnowDogg MD75 on my 97 Tahoe. It is a great unit!

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Regardless of what plow you buy a gravel edge is invaluable for gravel. slit a piece of pipe to cover the wearedge when doing gravel. For pictures check my facebook page.

4. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

X2 What Basher said :nod:

I haven't used one but have watched them used, easy on and off with an electric impact and very forgiving on the gravel. My standard edge wanted to dig for China!!:D

5. mjpeterson651

mjpeterson651 Junior Member
    from MN

Thanks for the tip. Can you buy a commercial gravel edge? Or are they really just home grown add on's?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No commercial manufactures I'm aware of yet. Any shop with a mig machine and Plasma torch can hook you up.