1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

drawing to many amps!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by the new boss 92, Dec 10, 2009.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

so i was the other day first time running th eblade this year and its slow going up, and also shuts my radio off aswell. well the plow is off the truck now and i went to cheack the oil level to make sure i wasnt low and it came pouring out! it has never done that to me, i put 2 qurts in when i did the oil change this year and it ran fine till i used it for the first time! help me i did a search and all i got out of it was maybe a bad pump? im lost!

2. the new boss 92

i cheacked all the connections and the main one was alittle bit rusty cleaned it up but havent ttried it out because its to cold out and i hate the cold

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it's overfull a little. Re-check it the next time its on the truck as thats the only accurate way to check it.

Have an AMP draw test done on the plow the next time its on the truck. May not even be the plow, may be an issue with the truck. Doing the test will help narrow it down some. But you're on the right track of checking ALL connections. Don't forget the bumper plug and plow side cables connections as you go also.

4. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

Good Ground

I have found in the past that the plow needs a good ground to work correctly. I have known guys that paint everything that rusts or has "raw" metal. The main ground that the plow uses is the connection where it mounts. if this is heavily painted over it may lose the good ground.

5. the new boss 92

well i took off the power and ground off the pump cleaned them up and dielectric greased everything on the plow side. my dad did some sort of test and said the motor is on its way out. well im going to hook everything up tomarrow morning and run some more test. hey b&b do you know how many ohms i should have at the motor its self? im not to good at electric but i can figure stuff out and my pops is good at it so we can get it back up and going again!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OHMS isn't an accurate test and will tell you nothing unless the motor is shorted directly, you need to do an AMP draw test.

7. the new boss 92

alright im going to look at it more tomarrow, if my motor is week how much time do i have left before it stops working?

8. Deco

Deco Senior Member

BB...could be another candidate for truckside -power related issues . :dizzy:

9. the new boss 92

:realmad:im also going to go through my truck side, because last year right before i put it away the damn thing was faster then all hell! and i put it on this year went out and its like a frozen up western!:yow!:

10. Deco

Deco Senior Member

battery ? / alternator

11. the new boss 92

my alternator is brand new, the battery of the other hand has been around the block, im going to cheack the battery alternator and all connections tomarrow morning and hook up the plow and see if i mad any progress yet or if i need the motor sounds like a bad connection though like stated above!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

5 minutes or 5 years there's no possible way to know, just the luck of the draw. No pun intended :D.

Do the checks and tests and see where you stand.

13. the new boss 92

well i did a test on the plow and the pump shorting out, looks like a will be placing an order at equetment specilist!

14. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

yep, i have one that the motor is pooping, its drawing almost 200 amp when raising..

15. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

You might want to replace the pump at the same time, no telling but it could have wore out the motor.
    Just had the smae problem. It was cheaper to buy the pump and motor togather than seprate.

16. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

Around 130 for the motor. What did you spend on the pump and motor?

17. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

$525 for both as a single unit not installed.

18. jhakarter

jhakarter Member

I hate to bring back a old topic, but I seem to have similar issues, I have checked and replaced everything other then the motor on the plow. It is a little bit older v plow, not the newest one but anyway I havent ever even really looked to see where the electric motor is or anything, where is it and how does a guy do a amp draw on it? can I do it on the plow on the truck, or do I have to take it off and take it in? Thanks

19. the new boss 92

my discovery last year was that there was to much oil after i preped it for the season, puked the stuff out and the little extra that was in there was enough to slow it down and draw the extra amps. cheack your motor and fluid level. but first things first clean and die electric grease every connection then try it, nothing will hurt yo more than a dirty connection!

20. the new boss 92

psi can get the forum on my phone so i can help you out through out the day, just post up and ill replay asap, but ill be out doing ball joints in my buddys plow rig so might take a few minuets for reply!