1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Draining hydro fluid/refill

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by FFD133, Nov 5, 2007.

1. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

I would like to drain the hydro fluid and refill before the season, however I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff. Any pointers would be great. I have an 8'2" Boss Poly V, 1 year old. Just want to make sure I do everything right so I don't cause myself more money. Also, how do you adjust the wings so they don't come back so fast? Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not really a hard job but it can be a little messy...To get as much fluid out of the system as possible..you should disconnect the hoses at the wing cylinders and remove the cylinder and dump the fluid out of them. I sometimes use a hand held vacuum pump to siphon the fluid out of them also.

Disconnect the lower hose from the lift cylinder and let it and the cylinder drain..

I also remove the upper hose from the lift cylinder too and use the vacuum pump to pull as much fluid out a possible.

Remove the drain plug from the bottom of the reservoir and let it drain.

On a 1 year old plow, it's not really necessary to remove the reservoir and clean it and the screens out but for future reference, I would once the plow has a few seasons on it...

Refill all three cylinders as full as you can before re connecting all the hoses.This will make purging the air out of the system a lot faster.(This is a good tip on any plow btw.)

Then just refill the reservoir and operate all the plow functions..if the fluid gets foamed up, let it set for a few hours and then top it off.

Operate it one more time and re check the fluid level.

Note:Make sure the plow is on the ground and in the V position when you check/refill the fluid

That's all their is too it..

As to the wing return speed..technically there isn't a return speed setting on the hydraulic system so no adjustment is possible but you can loosen the wing return springs a bit to slow them down some. Just be sure not to loosen them too much or the wings may not retract all the way back.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

One tip for anyone working on their plows.

Do your servicing with the plow mounted on your truck.

Expressly when removing lines from your lift ram.

4. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

Thanks alot. Doesn't sound too bad. Bring on the snow!

5. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

Do you know about how much fluid it takes to refill everything?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you use the drain method like I described you will get most of the fluid out of the system, so it'll will take almost a gallon to fully refill the system. 2 qt to fill the reservoir and and about a qt and a half to fill the lines and cylinders..

7. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

thanks for all the info

8. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

One other tip

Since I just did mine a couple weeks ago. Be aware that the tank drain plug is of the magnetic type so you'll want to clean it off where any metallic crud has built up. Mine had a small amount of black goo when I cleaned it off.

Good Luck

George
    Twisp, WA

9. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

quick question.......When you are starting to drain the lift cylinder and lines, the plow is connected to the truck but in the lowered position, correct???? Just want to make sure before I start doing it. Thanks.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you are correct. :salute:

11. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

thanks, didn't want to screw anything up