1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Draining battery

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 04HDBoss, Jan 1, 2010.

1. 04HDBoss

04HDBoss Junior Member

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500Hd with a 3 year old boss plow only used for the private road I live on and a couple drivesways. When I have the plow on just sitting it drains the battery in one day. Any suggestions?

2. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Does ur plow operate when key is "off"? if so when ur controler is in "float mode" you are drawing power, to fix it, all you have to do is at the fuse panel connect the black/red to a key'ed source.

3. overtime

overtime Senior Member

X2. Is it only with the plow on? Just double checking?

4. 04HDBoss

04HDBoss Junior Member

When you turn on the controller it has power but it only clicks a solenoid doesn't move cameo. Yes it only seems to drain my battery when the plow is on. It also pulls my battery voltage way down probably to 10 or so on the voltmeter

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. overtime

overtime Senior Member

im not going to say but maybe something in the controller. Sounds like we need B & B.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is the black/red wire at the controller hot with the ignition off?

7. Indy

Indy Senior Member

That's about all it could be isn't it?

8. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

Have your alternator checked for the correct amount of output. My buddies 08 began dropping the voltage down also on his gauge and his battery would be dead the next day. Turned out the alternator was bad.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wouldn't apply here as he stated it happens ONLY with the plow attached.

And yes Mike.

10. 04HDBoss

04HDBoss Junior Member

I figured out that the Black/Red wire was powered even when the key is off so I fixed that so it turns off with the ignition. I will check with my meter and see if it is putting out enough voltage and I might have to take it and have it test further.. Thanks for all the help this is a great place to get a lot of information.

11. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member