1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

draining atf fluid

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by critter, Nov 24, 2007.

1. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

how do you dain and change the fluid in a mm1 plow i have the atf fluid and bought the blue stuff now i have to drain all the fluid out to put new stuff in this is my first fisher plow also where is the filter everybody talks about thanks
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

the filter is at the end of the pickup tube in the resevoir.......empty the resevior, drop it, take off all your ram hoses, even detatch the blade side of the ram and completely compress them to get the fluid out, get all fluid out of everything, i don't know if this is really bad for the pump but when you are emptying kick the pump on for a sec to make sure all the fluid is pused out of there as well.

I don't know if this is too extreme to be going to get all the fluid out, but, from what ive heard about that it is terrible to mix fluids, this is honestly what i would do to make sure the system is not contaminated. Maybe even change the fluid after the first storm just to be sure! Better to go through some exra fluid than to have to replace a pump, valve, etc.

3. Fluid Change

I was going to say something very similar. Change the fluid, work the plow up & down, and side to side numerous times, and then repeat the flushing to remove all traces of ATF. How did the ATF get in there in the first place ???

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if its belt driven live hydro then thay called for atf fluid only. dont swap it to blue. its not the best. from what i have read keep what comes in it stock in it.

1/2 mm1 were live hydro and then 2nd half were electric pumps.
  5. mcwlandscaping

Some people use it in place of plow fluid, it can be used but isn't the best for the temperatures it will be operating in....

I agree with your first point about the ATF in the underhood hydropump first MM1 systems.....if it is an electric/hydraulic setup (HVLP or Insta-act) then the blue "plow fluid" is the best viscosity for the cylinders and pump under the temperatures it will be operating in.
  6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

What is the HVLP you speak of? Do you mean the SEHP or EHP? Surely there is not a paint spraying attachement, or is there...for spraying Fluid Film maybe:drinkup::D?
  7. mcwlandscaping

HAHAHAHA yes i meant SEHP!! i don't know what HVLP is involved in but i keep saying that!!!
  8. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

LOL..It is High Volume Low Pressure. Bodyshop/ spraypainting terminology.
  9. mcwlandscaping

that's where ive been seeing it!!!! hahahaha lol, someone was asking me about my paint gun the other day and i was looking at a few!! just kinda stuck in my head....silly four letter acronyms!!