1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Draging ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by harley hauler, Nov 22, 2003.

1. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Need some feedback! I do a number of res. drives with most being all back drags. I've seen some guys running back drag blades on theie blades does anyone on here own one and if so is it worth the money??

2. matt-max

matt-max Member

been using the daniels pull plow for about 8 years with great results

only downside is the additional length of truck and additional weight

does give you better traction in back without needing ballast

saves a HUGE amount of time with better results compared to backdragging with frontblade then turning around and pushing on second pass.

not sure about any other brands

matt

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

We own 2 Snowman back plows, and yes they are worth the money. Our are 7ft, from experience that is what I would recommend, I think 8ft would clip a lot of things if you have curved driveways. We cut our route down significantly, not to mention the cleaner edges and better scrape from the box ends. Daniels is also a good manufacturer, it just depends on personal preference and availability.

4. Iron Mike

Iron Mike Junior Member
    from N.H

There is small welding shop in Salem MA. That builds and installs backdraggers for Fisher plows. I had one on a 8 ft fisher it came on a used plow I bought there.I think the cost of the dragger alone was a little over 200 at the time. Worked great could get right up on garage doors .

Mike

5. North Country

North Country Senior Member

Mike do you have a pic you could post or email to me of that Fisher backdrag? Thanks - Mike

6. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

How does backdragging work? How is it done?

7. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Hoot, An example of backdraging is when you pull up to a garage door with the plow up then drop the blade and try to pull the snow backwards.

8. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Worded well Joey......TRY to pull it backwards. Western has a nice new back-drag edge that attaches behind the regular edge.
    -Jeff-

9. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

I have a hard time backing up once in a while let alone at every driveway without hitting a garage door.:p

I guess the problem with backdragging with a regular plow is the curvature causing the plow to lift over the snow.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  10. theboogers

theboogers Junior Member
    from balt

matt max rear plowing

i just purchased a daniels rear plow. i was wondering about the build-up of snow behind the truck because of the sides on the plow. also, do you plow in reverse to move the build up of snow after the plow is raised or do you use a front plow on the same truck? thanks

11. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

the boogers- DO NOT back up with the Daniels plow down, they are not made for that. The box ends are designed exactly for that- to accumulate snow under the truck, pulling it forward. Yes you need to use the front plow to push the snow after you pull it out from the driveway. What is your current setup, truck and front plow, and why did you opt for a Daniels?

12. theboogers

theboogers Junior Member
    from balt

i have a ford f150 that i did not want to use a front plow on. i am just doing light plowing. i got a daniels rear plow used and will try using it alone. i can drag the driveway clear , but was wondering about pushing backward like i would with my tractors rear plow.

13. Iron Mike

Iron Mike Junior Member
    from N.H

Sorry I though they had a web site ( they did at one time) for the pictures of the backdragger . I will see if I can get one and post it sorry it might ot be for a week Mike