1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drag Chain

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Looks like I finally need to replace the drag chain on a Meyer/Diamond MDV spreader. The current one is too loose and I cannot tighten it anymore. Any tips on how to remove the old one and put the new one in?

2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Grinder to cut off the old one. The new one will have a master link on it that ables you to put the chain on the spreader

3. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Thanks, what I was looking for was tips on getting the new one pulled thru. Such as, can I attach the new one to the old one and run the conveyor and have it pull it thru?

4. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

I just used a rachet strap and feed it through and pulled the chain thru, very easy

5. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Just remove a link or two and put in another master to shorten it up. No need to replace unless its worn out.

6. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I wasn't sure I could remove links. If I can, then that would save about $6 or 7 hundred bucks. The problem is that I can't tighten the tensions anymore. The chain touches the bottom in the first 3 or 4 inches back from the front. Manufacturer says minimum of 8" and maximum of 20".

THANKS

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Site unseen, never worked on one but I'd imagine you could loosen the tensioners up to a point where you can cut a few links off and have more then enough adjustment to snug the chain up to proper tension.

8. Yes take a few links out will work. We just did that on a few of ours

9. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

OK...managed to remove a link and get it tightened back up. I think I have the drag chain a little too tight now though. Chain will only "jerk" forward an inch or two when conveyor is turned on. I will loosen off the rollers a bit and see if that fixes it.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure your Clutch belt is tight

Does the chain flex ok

11. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I did put a new belt on as well. I don't think the belt is the problem though, when the clutch is engaged and the drag chain won't move, the belt stops turning as well. So its not just spinning on the clutch, that's why I think it is not a belt problem.

12. Antlerart06

Grab the spinner and spin it to make the chain move
    If chain moves easy 2-3ft then problem might be somewhere else something to check

13. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Will do. Thanks. If it doesn't move the chain 2 or 3ft, then you figure the drag chain is too tight???

14. Antlerart06

if its to tight you be lucky move it at all by hand

15. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Thanks, I'll let you know shortly.

16. Antlerart06

If cant move it loosen the chain and try spin the spinner if still doesn't move then problem might be in the gear box