1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drag Chain Lubrication...HELP

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Eyesell, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Just got a new drag chain installed in my V-Box and was wondering what you all are recommending for lub. Some one told me one time to use old motor oil...not sure if that's best but figured I'd ask before I do anything..

Thanks

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

On the spreader, Fluid Film. Off the spreader, soak it in a bucket of used oil.

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking, just kinda hard to get down into that thing in the middle of winter to lub it up. Suppose I can get to it from under the back side where the salt drops out.

Is there any disadvantage to using oil all the time vs. just in the summer months ?

4. fast*st

fast*st Junior Member

well, its a farm chain style, so lubrication is more likely to attract grit and grime. Would say the best would be skip the used motor oil if you're leaving the chain on the spreader, wash the dickens out of it a few times before storage, let it dry a few warm days then attack the chain with a couple cans of either motorcycle chain lube or generic chain and cable lube, they dry on pretty good and resist water. Fluidfilm to help preserve the hopper.

What has killed mine has always been the unseen blobs of sand that don't get washed off. hefting it overhead on the backhoe helps.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I don't take mine out at all. I just wash it good, then turn the conveyor on with the chute off and hose it down good with fluid film as the chain is turning. Once I've got it all nice and covered, I let it run for a few minutes to let the fluid film work into the links, under the chain, etc. Then shut it down and good to go. My oldest spreader is 5 years old, it still works fine, and the chain is nice and free.

I don't think oil would last as long as fluid film, but I could be wrong, I've never used oil on a drag chain, just fluid film, and my spreaders are stored inside in the off season. If I were storing a spreader outside though, I'd remove the drag chain and dunk it in a 5 gallon bucket of used oil, as used oil is way cheaper than fluid film.

6. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Only use fluid film

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

FLUID FILM. Fire the unit up, turn on the conveyor and spray the chain at the roller closest to the cab. Then spray the rest of the unit.Thumbs Up

8. fast*st

fast*st Junior Member

I'll admit too, I stored mine once and forgot to lubricate it before putting it up for the spring/summer, it was washed and had wire brushed and painted the hopper. The chain had surface rust but didn't seem to mind a bit. Though yeah ususally it was stored with either a coating of bar &chain oil or chain and cable lube.

9. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Brush bar and chain oil on a coup[le of timmes a season. That sticls to the chain pretty well. The little drive chains I replace annually. They are to cheap to mess with and I dont need problems in the middle of the night.

10. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

lubriseal from rohmar industries

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Used oil works great and so does Fluid Film. We generally do the chains with used oil and the rest of the spreader with FF. Used oil can be a little messier though.