1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DQ #3 - trigger points

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stonehenge, Dec 21, 2000.

1. Stonehenge

Stonehenge Member

I understand the concept of 'trigger points', but let's say you've already plowed a driveway or parking lot, and it's 10am and it's still snowing - do you have another new trigger point, or do you keep going back until the driveway or parking lot is 'black and wet'? And if you do, do you charge for every push, or just total snowfall?

Do you handle residential driveways and commercial lots differently in this respect? I could see a residential customer in my market flipping out getting charged for three pushes in one day.

2. eggy

eggy Member

Good question I am very interested in this also.....

3. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

That's for you to decide. We're heading out to plow in a half hour. The snow stopped accumulating this afternoon but it's only amounted to about 2 1/2" total so we decided to wait until night, less traffic, less hastle. However, I saw plenty of trucks out today while I was home babysitting my son. Now those guys will have to decide if they want to revisit some of their route in order to plow/salt 1" of additional snow.

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Our residential customers make (1) pass to get out and come back later for complete job at storms end and on long duration storms we come back every 2-3 hours to make passes for ease of access. Commercial accounts we must keep as clean as possible for easy access and safety reasons (nursing homes, shopping malls and condos. So to us we treat them different and are billed different, our residential gets billed per how many storms we plowed that month. Our commercial is figured on an average season snowfall and an extra 3 plows are added to contract to make sure we dont loose money, they have a set monthly bill no matter how many or how little it snows. So you will always get a check every month, we also send out spec sheets with all contracts stating what we do and when we do this is an important tool for the contractor and person you are servicing to explain whats to be done. I would be happy to email or fax you a copy to look at and use if you wish.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

On seasonals we visit as needed during a storm. At per push storms, we have 1" trigger, and every 2" thereafter during a storm. If snow accumulates over night, we charge for amount of snow that is on the lot. If its during the day, we charge for the amount present at each push.
    Dino

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

On my per push accounts,residential,I go out at 2-3" if thatall weresupposed to get.If its a biggie,I send a truck every 4",during day storms,and i have the driveway opened up by no later than 6 am.Comercial,I am out at 1" and plow every 2"-3" during the day,and my accounts that never close get done all night every 2-3"too.I bill for every plowing ,even if there are 3 per 7" on a comercial.On my closed accounts I will let sbow accumulate overnight,up to 6" max,then i push it,just to keep it from getting to hard to move later on.If i push 6" on a commercial,I charge for every " over 4.Residentials only get charged per push,same rate.If i cant make it twice during an 8" storm its the same price,but if they tell me not to come (TO SAVE MONEY,)Ill charge them an addtional charge for deep snow.If i plow and salt,I charge them every time i resalt or sand too,if you dont salt them,itll ice up bad on traffic area's.I learned that the hard way a long time ago.

7. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

I don't have a set depth number, only "when deemed necessary" There are times that I will plow 1", and others that I will melt that same amount.

I charge per visit. I have a price for curb to curb plowing, and a price for plowing passes. I will make plowing passes during the day when the lot is full of cars, or under blizzard conditions. They are charges for each visit, not for the total storm. Salt is the same way.

I don't do residential.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

For me, it varies by customer. Some residentials want it cleared for every dusting, some not until 3+ inches. One of my lots, over 2 inches, another 1 inch, the big lot, 1 inch but due to the steep approach road and tractor trailers' need to back up it to loading docks Im sand/salting at first flake (the hill at least).

You should probably ask the customer what they expect, and go from there.