1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DPW plower gone private. how much to salt

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jlk696, Jul 11, 2011.

1. jlk696

jlk696 Junior Member

Hi all, I have been plowign for a municipality for 12 years now and have decided to go out on my own and finally make some real money. I have a pretty good idea of how long it takes to clear snow at different depths. whats the going hourly rate for just the snow removal part? I have no intention to charge hourly i just need a decently close number so i can competitivly bid jobs. What about salt? I have never bought bulk bag salt let alone charged someone to spread it. Is there a rule of thumb on this? What about start times? for the DPW we plow from the first flake to about two days after it stops. If there is snow predicted for 4-6 inches at what point do you go out? if you plow to early customers will want it re-done at the end of the storm i assume. Is that on my dime or do they pay twice? not very cost effective to plow twice. Thanks for the help

2. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Welcome to the site. All good questions. I suggest camping out on the site for a few hours or days. Read the threads and search on your topics. It's all been discussed. Keep in mind, prices differ based on your location/market.

Why did you give up muni work?

3. jlk696

jlk696 Junior Member

I havn't quite yet. I have been mowing and doing landscape maintenance part time for myself for about 5 years now. As far as the plowing is concerned I am tired of plowing snow for free (salary) and see a lot of potential to make some good money with my own truck. I have plenty of experience I just need to fork out some dough for the plow.

4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Not to be an ass, but the plows are the least expensive of my costs!

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

How is having a salary working for free??? Some days I wish I didn't have all the headaches of running my own and would love to plow for a municipality with a salaried income.

Exactly!!! OP: Start reading! You have a lot to learn if your biggest concern is affording a new plow!

6. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

That depend on what you run, my 9 foot fisher installed was more than my 8 yard sander.....just saying

7. jlk696

jlk696 Junior Member

I guess I should have known, most forums turn into a playing field of bashing other users rather than helping each other out and having good discussions.

Thanks

8. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Sorry you feel that way! The search function on here can keep them that want to know busy for days. But, I personally feel I have invested a great deal into the business experience i have. It gives a competitive advantage to me to know my costs, to know area prices, know what equipment to buy, know how much chemical and what type to use where and when.

I will say that the most important lesson I have learned is to bid my best price that I will hold for 3 plus years and walk away with a smile if I lose. To me a forum is to discuss areas of business, not to set up my competition, sorry if that sounds capitalistic, but Uncle Sam needs my taxes!

9. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Up here I base it off how long I think it'll take, and if I need to stay there all storm. I basically do $100 hour for a pick up $130 an hour for a a backhoe and between $150 and $175 an hour for a loader. But thats my region, Boston is a pretty expensive area, I don't know what your prices are like.

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

You will get a lot of good information on here.

If you are looking for bidding help, contract help, application rates, cost calculations for the service based on your overhead and expenses and more, we may have what you are looking for. Check out the sponsor link on the left for Profits Unlimited snow & ice management package. Feel free to give us a call at 800-845-0499 to answer any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service business since 1979, we have several years of experience to share.

Good luck this year.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I was going to help until I read this post. There are forums like that, but this isn't one of them.

12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, his response was typical of a child being told he actually has to WORK for something. :gunsfiring: One thing this forum IS good for is newbies without a clue of how business works coming in and asking what to charge. :dizzy:

13. OldCrow

OldCrow Member

I'm not quite buying this story.

Why are you plowing and a salaried employee? I'm assuming you're a supervisor?