1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DPF Delete; Ordering Spartan

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jbell36, Dec 23, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

when i order my spartan tune, what all should i look for? there is a kit that includes the entire exhaust system, replaces down pipe that connects to turbo all the way to the exhaust exit (doesn't include tip)...there's a 4" and 5" tube option, i'm leaning towards the 5", the more air flow the better right?...also, there is aluminum and stainless, stainless is only $50 more, is that a no brainer? does that even sound right? $50 seems very cheap for that upgrade...it also has the EGR delete and S&B intake...

is there anything to know about the installation? cab wouldn't have to come off or anything right?

thanks for any help...
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll be fine with the 4" exhaust, go stainless as well. Flo Pro seems to have a really nice exhaust system for the 6.4's

Also it will most likely be a down pipe back exhaust. To get the factory down pipe out without cutting it you'll have to pull the trans out or pull the cab to gain clearance.

If your planning on running it pretty hard on much more then about a 275 tune you'll need the intake. The higher power tunes require enough air that the truck will trip the filter minder and set a light on the dash for it.

A 210 tune is a pretty nice tune to daily drive on if you don't want to worry about anything. Just get in and go.

310 is a blast but your risking damage due to the extra power, not necessarily a tune I'd load on the truck and turn just anyone loose with.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Mark hit it on the head.....I ran the 275 daily and the 5in without any muffler....love it. the 310 and 350 are badazz. You'll be kickin yourself for not dong this before!!!!!
  4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i'm looking at doing this now because 1) we are pretty sure there is a hole in the down pipe, and rather than just replacing that with OEM i would rather just do the whole spartan tube, and 2) i've been researching and wanting to do it for 2 years now...so i'm not worried about salvaging the original down pipe, would i still have to drop the trans or pull the cab to make this possible?

also, if i ran the higher tunes i would probably do the head studs and whatever else needs to be done before i really got into it...i hear the 275 is best for MPG's? that's what i'm going for...getting about 11.5 right now and i'm pretty sure my DPF is not working the way it should, and almost positive the egr is messed up too, randomly will blow white smoke when it finally decides to clean itself out...i'm guessing it's plugged up and that is why i have a hole in my down pipe
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Wait till you run a 310 tune in a heavily modded truck. :D

I think no matter what you want to do with the down pipe you need to drop the trans or lift the cab for clearance.

Your biggest thing with the higher hp tunes will be egt's and the trans. A friend of mine is still running the stock head bolts on his 6.4. It's normally on a 275 or 310 tune for daily driving. Sled pulling and Drag racing it varies between the 310 and 350 trying to find the sweet spot to get the most out of it.

Also don't forget traction bars, the axle wrap once you start throwing power at them is insane.

As far as fuel mileage my friends do quite a bit of experimenting with their 6.4's and I think the best any of them has gotten was 21.8mpg running about 75mph at 30psi of boost. I had the exact details in my old phone before I broke it so I can't guarantee the speed and boost numbers. I do remember it was significantly faster with more boost then I would have ever guessed while trying to get the best mileage possible.