1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Downtown Cobblestone Streets

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowtime1, Oct 10, 2008.

1. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

what method would you use to plow? we were recently approached by a large municipalty contractor to handle approx.600 feet. After reviewing the scope, many thoughts came to mind: Loose blocks to recent construction of catch basins(whos responsibilty),dips in street due to settling etc (more than 2".) any thoughts appreciated.:salute:

oh ya, finally: no salt, no treated sand, straight sand only due to watershed distirct.:dizzy:
    would anyone touch this?
    Has anyone here mixed calcium chloride to sand?
    thank you in advance. ussmileyflag

2. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I take it nobody would touch it!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

600 ft of what ? road ,parking lot any other info

4. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

my apologies..duh
    It is roadway between two buildings,I originally posted 600 ft. but it is 1,600 ft.
    1,600 ft. x 25'

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

ig you go slow you shouldn't have to much of a problem. Just like a crappy lot go slow.If you throw down the CC it will melt the rest.

6. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

thanks grandview,
    i figured that may be the responce, I also have the snow thrower for the bobcat...but its only utilized over 6" because it works best at that depth;time and transport,not sure if its worth it.
    as to treating..since its not that much..maybe pre mix calcium chl to the straight sand. what do think?

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

What's any steel cutting edge going to do to the Cobble stones? There is a reason they came to you. Might think of a softer cutting edge for the plow that does this street. I could just see cobble stones being launched / displaced with a steel cutting edge.

8. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

thank you, I have personally witnessed this street being plowed years before; small p-u truck with 8' steel blade; i'm curious if the blade was raised just a tad to accomplish. and the plow edge in your opinion?
    If I entertain this offer to plow, what would be the best type of blade or method?
    thank you

9. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

we have a local guy with an 8' fisher with a rubber/poly edge who does all the paver drives he installs here in town. i wouldn't touch that with a steel edge you might be asking for problems.

theres a niche for you if i've ever seen one...

10. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Mulcahymowing,
    Thank you for your insight; although I have witnessed this with a steel blade; I do appreciate what everyone has suggested, I believe I may stay clear as I would require A special blade and dedicate a truck to this one account.