1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

** Downsized. Sold the old equipment. New Truck. Which blade? **

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nah2323, Nov 10, 2008.

?

Which Blade is best for the "Heavy Half?"

1. Fisher 7' 6" SS X Blade

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Boss 7' 6" HD straight blade

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Fisher 7' 6" SS Xtreme V

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. Boss 7' 6" Power V

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. nah2323

nah2323 Junior Member

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on this forum, although I have been watching from outside the circle for years. I find that this forums is extremely informative and has a lot of knowledgeable people.

Now back to the topic. I had a pretty good fleet last year and was doing serious commercial account work. My main account was 9 acres of blacktop with about 3.5 miles of 4' sidewalk, let alone the other smaller things I had in contract. But my trucks were getting some age on them, and with the economy the way it is, I decided in spring I would be downsizing my snow removal operation for the 08-09 season.

Previously I had:

94 F350 SRW 460in with a late 2007 8'2'' Boss V
    96 F350 DRW P-Stroke stake body with a circa 1996 9' Fisher hydro (oldie but a goodie) and circa 96 Fisher sander
    96 F250 P-Stroke with a circa 2000 8' Western
    2007 S300 Bobcat with 10' pivot box
    2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 650i with a 5' warn blade (Sidewalk Maniac!)

All of them seemed reliable with nothing unexpectedly breaking down.

Now I have just one truck, and plan on doing just small accounts, pretty much 10% of what I did last year. I have the "black sheep" 01 F150 with the 7700 payload package. Which is a 7 lug wheel, 4150 GFAWR and a 7700 GVWR. Many of the owners call it the "Heavy Half." In NY, the DOT is cracking down HARDCORE on anything with a super duty grille it seems, so I figured this was the truck that could keep my out of the inspection area, but still provide 3/4ton performance.

So my question is this. I have been looking at the following blades, I'm limited width wise, but I'm not really all about a 9' blade on a heavy half.

7' 6" Fisher SS X Blade
    7' 6'' Fisher SS Xtreme V
    7' 6'' Boss HD Blade
    7' 6'' Boss Power V

I liked my 8'2'' Boss V's curb guards, and blade trip. The controller was nice also. I'm a little concerned that the cutting edge angle on the Fisher is a bit harsh, and considering its a trip edge, It may trip more often. I'm in love wth the look of the stainless blade though. Its pretty BAMF if you know what I mean.

Looking for any feedback on this, I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks in advance
    nah2323

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

welcome back to the one truck wonder world. Not necessarily a bad thing.

i voted.

your not alone. lots of people downsizing right now, some not willingly.

3. nah2323

nah2323 Junior Member

I didn't have to, I'm pretty fortunate. I just decided to before the stuff hit the fan.

VOTERS, if you could please post your experiences and opinions on the blades listed, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for feedback on the fisher blades more than anything, I have no complaints with the boss plow, but I'm open to others...

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if your gonna get a blade mine as well get a vee

5. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

The boss plows are lighter than the Fisher plows. Something to keep in mind.:confused:

6. nah2323

nah2323 Junior Member

I noticed the Hiniker has the reverse C plow that looks pretty sweet.

High Voltage.... Electrician? me too, my plate actually says HI VLTGE

7. azandy

azandy Member

I have used Boss and Western plows for a lot of years with out any problems. I'm sure all the brands have good and bad values. We have a hiniker plow on a truck that we bought used. It seems to work well. Not as fast though. Might be different with a new one. The first thing I would do is call the dealer that sells these and tell them what kind of truck you have. I just went through this with a supposed "heavy half" 2008 Chev. The truck dealer bought it back because it couldn't hold the plow they told me it would when I bought it. I was happy the dealer was willing to help me with this, but it caused a lot of extra work on my end. Like your doing here, I should have posted here to get the right answer first. But is was July and I'm sure the activity level here is slow then.

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you get a Boss you should get one with a trip edge.

9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Well, you went & made me a liar in what I WANTED to write -- I ran your vehicle in the Fisher ematch, and you seem to have lots of options. All things considered, I'd go with the XV -- I hear people who use them will never go back to a straight blade, and the stainless is beyond compare

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You never have snoway? You should see their new plow it mega blade.

11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

If your a one truck operation, go with a V! You will be more productive!:waving:

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

having a vee plow on a half ton scares the sh!t out of me, even if its the "heavy half"

13. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Why?

:confused:

14. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

That was gonna be roughly my sentiment earlier until I ran his configuration through the Fisher site & came up with lots of choices, including the SS XV. Someone smarter than I am decided it's ok, and Fisher tends to be conservative in their recommendations

15. nah2323

nah2323 Junior Member

Thats why I bought this truck, as soon as I noticed the 7 lug wheels, I knew it was basically the left over 1998 F250's (non Super Duty.) Considering they still use the motor in the new F150's and the gas F250's, I was pretty sure my truck was a F250 with the sloped nose for the "homeowner" appeal.

I also am gentle on my equipment. I'm all about the coast to the stop at the stacked snow, rather than ram it hard and/or shift while the truck is still moving. After some thought tonight on my ride home from the job, I've decided to go with a vee plow for one simple fact, a lot of my accounts this year are vacant houses. Which means that the snow can pile up, especially at the end of the drive after the town goes through. A straight blade may end up sliding me off the side, and cause me to beat my truck a little. If I break the big stuff with the vee, then I can trim up and scoop as needed without beating the truck.