1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

downpressure help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 7d9_z28, Dec 4, 2010.

1. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

i have an older western setup on my truck, pump/motor mounted out front of truck. its cable operated, i have no clue on a model number or anything

im curious about how to adjust the downpressure. when i push my lever in the truck down, it takes forever to go down. not sure it is just gravity or not, but there has to be a way to make it faster... :help:

2. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

i dont have a good picture of it, i have a picture of the front of the truck, you cant really see it that well but i can post it if you think it will help

3. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

look on the side of the pump were the hoses come out of the pump and there should be a little screw its called the (quill) (it should be on the top of were the hoses come out that little box ) turn it a little bit each time and try it till it it drops the way you want it, how fast or slow you can go on westerns website and prob pull up a picture of it.

4. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

ok cool thank you

how do i know if it actually has down pressure or is just gravity? is a gravity drop adjustable?

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Does it have a chain lift? Then it doesn't have DP.

6. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

yeah its a chain

is it adjustable? (the drop speed)

thanks guys!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  7. cretebaby

8. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

i wasnt sure if the fact that mine didnt actually have downpressure changed that

9. cretebaby

Where did you get the idea that westerns have DP?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not on a cable driven pump. It's actually on the rear side of the main housing facing the truck. Will be an Allen screw with a large jamb nut. Loosen the jamb nut and turn the Allen screw in (clockwise) to speed up the drop speed only making an 1/8 turn adjustment at a time until it's acceptable for your liking.

Oh, and you can't push a chain.

11. cretebaby

How about a rope?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's been known to exist. :D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  13. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

well i dont know how the damn thing works i just know i push snow out of the way and it doesnt go down fast enough

14. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

15. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Thanks you!