1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Downforce needed

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by tbirdage, Dec 24, 2010.

1. tbirdage

tbirdage Junior Member
    from WV

Hey guys, I'm the new guy around here but have visited several times and seen lots of interesting pics and threads.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I did some trading with a friend and I got a new still in the box, 48" Craftsman lawn tractor snow blade. My intention was to sell it and get a 60" pushtube Eagle but no calls on the tractor plow. So I decided to check my fabrication skills and I made it fit my 700 Polaris. The plow seems to do okay but is definitely not built to put in front of that 700. it's not heavy enough to stay on the ground and it only has one trip spring and stays tripped most of the time. I'd like to add some weight to it and stiffen the spring. Any suggestions?

2. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

I tightened the spring all the way down on my tractor blade. I also welded a bar on it that allowed me to stack weights on it. It worked well.

This year, I put a lift strut from one of my old jeeps on.
    [​IMG]

Works well, but my cheap winch has a hell of a time lifting it :).

3. tbirdage

tbirdage Junior Member
    from WV

Great idea with the strut. I just threw two of those out last month from a Ford hood that I wrecked and replaced. I'll get some pics posted soon of my rig.

4. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Cycle Country offers a downforce kit that shouldn't take to much to adapt to your plow. I have one and it works well.

You can also just add a second trip spring.

5. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

ive used steel barbell weights before too heavy take some off

6. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

Use a automotive shock absorber attached to the plow and front end and it will add down pressure

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Blade geometry is critical. if the mounting point is to high it will trip constantly.

8. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i welded a rod on both sides to add weights for more down pressure.

9. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

All good ideas. Look a linear actuator. If you get a good one you will have 100-200# of down pressure.eagle has a down pressure kit. Don't know how much

10. bullseye

bullseye Member

Thats a very good idea !!! Thumbs Up
    I put a small platform on the top of where the trip-springs mount to put a sand-bag or two !! AND I have tightened my trip-springs pretty good (not crazy tight) but enough to stop it from fliping over all the time !!