1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Downeaster Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'DownEaster' started by Alces, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Alces

Alces Junior Member

I'm looking for a spreader for an F-450 with 9' Hewes body. I like the Downeaster tailgate spreader because of the ease of removal and especially the cost. However I'm a little concerned that wet or clumpy sand/salt mix will have a harder time sliding to the back of the body and feeding the auger than with a V-box. I would like to know if anyone has had issues with this unit "fouling" because of inconsistencies in material. Also any other problems that people have encountered would be appreciated.
  2. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I posted a similar request and didn't receive an answer.
    I went with a 3.3 Yard hydraulic V box because I didn't have faith in the tailgate. Too concernced about keeping salt dry, feeding issues and eventually forgetting the bed in the up position. Also the spread rate is no faster than a walking pace (from what I've been told).
    I've had good luck with both the Downeasters that I've purchased and great luck with the service department in Topsham.
  3. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Did you mount a V box to the frame or put it in a dump bed???

What V box did you get??

Ron G.
  4. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

You put it in the dump bed. I went with a 3.3 yard, stainless steele, hydraulic.